• Hello, my name is Matt and this is my dog Rica. I adopted her about a year ago from the tampa humane society when she was 1 year old. The humane society told me she was a smooth coat fox terrier. After doing some research and my ex girlfriend saying she was working with a basenji, I now believe she is mostly basenji with a slight fox terrier in her. She has all the traits that a basenji has from the curly tail, the wrinkles on the forhead, she loves taking my dirty laundry and spreading it around the house, and she is an excellent escape artist. The only thing that isn't a basenji trait would be her BARK. This must be where the fox terrier trait comes in. She will bark like a normal dog but sometimes she will produce the "yodel" bark. I honestly think the half regular bark, half yodel is what makes her so unique though. She is one of a kind. Anyways I am new to this sight and just looking for information or any relative insight! Here are some pictures of my little girl…
    attachment_t_13696_0_298124_10150450533673185_502228184_10176228_182193078_n.jpg
    attachment_t_13696_1_295119_2913415564741_1993887137_n.jpg
    attachment_t_13696_2_img_20120629_103628.jpg

• Welcome to the forum. She looks a bright girl and should be fairly easy to train.

• Well, there you go with that third pic of the curly tail. I am not a breeder, nor show person, but the photos do seem somewhat basenji in the mix. Why does "spellcheck" think that Basenji is not a word??

• First Basenji's

Very lovely pictures! Some really cute mixes joining the forum lately, including yours. Welcome!

• Welcome 🙂

• Welcome, Rica is darling! Are you in the Tampa area? We have a basenji meet-up every Sunday and would be delighted to have you join us. It is at West Park, Sundays around 11.

• @MacPack:

Welcome, Rica is darling! Are you in the Tampa area? We have a basenji meet-up every Sunday and would be delighted to have you join us. It is at West Park, Sundays around 11.

sounds like fun! Rica and I will have to make it out there one sunday. We live in pinellas but are willing to spend some time with other basenjis for sure, thanks for the info

• Welcome at the forum!

Rica is georgeous, whe reminds me of a Basenji mix with a staffie/pitbull and both are two of my favorite breeds 😃

Suggested Topics