• @gbroxon:

I'd appreciate that, Arlene. I hope it's not just a Canadian thing…

If you can't get it there, I'll get it and ship it out to you. I'll find out tomorrow and let you know.

• My guys are on Sentinel, we live in a suburb outside of Houston, so they are on it all year round. Lots of mosquitos here most of the year! Never had a problem with it and no fleas either.

• @gbroxon:

Cool! I use topical K9 Advantix for repelling/killing fleas, ticks and mosquitos and ingestible Interceptor for heartworm. I would love to have an "all-in-one." Do you need a vet prescription for this? Is it topical or ingestible? Where can you buy it (I haven't been able to find Advantix/Heartguard combo on the internet, or maybe you're referring to Advantage Multi)?

Ok-here goes. It was the advantage multi. This is a combination of Heartworm/flea/and a few intestinal parasite control combo. There is also Revolution (I'm going to try this this year). This is a Heartworm/flea/tick/ear mite/and a few intestinal parasite control combo. This is rather pricey, $81.00 Cdn for 6 mos worth. This is for 18-22 lbs. Hope this helps.

Maybe cheaper over the internet-I haven't looked into it.

• Here's an addendum to last message. I talked to one of the humane society agents-I was just inspected for kennel license-she said she's heard nothing but good things about the Revolution and she hasen't heard of any problems with it either!

• I took her to the vet a few days ago and she said that there is something in Heartguard that is not good for sight hounds, like Greyhounds, Whippets, Basenjis, etc. It can be bad enough to cause death. I didn't want to take any chances with Jojo so we switched. I wish I could remember what the name was the vet called this.

:eek: I can't believe this, our vet gave us heartguard. I wonder if I should change vets since he dosen't seem to know about B's and I know from this forum this is usual for some vets not to know about Besanji's..how this is possible, I don't know they should know about all breeds!:mad:

• opps never mind my husband just clarified for me we give evolution…that's actually toppical all in one.

• I have used Heartguard for as many years as I can count… my oldest B's are now 15 1/2.... and have never had a problem and started my pups on it at 6 to 8 wks...

• @nomrbddgs:

Ok-here goes. It was the advantage multi. This is a combination of Heartworm/flea/and a few intestinal parasite control combo. There is also Revolution (I'm going to try this this year). This is a Heartworm/flea/tick/ear mite/and a few intestinal parasite control combo. This is rather pricey, $81.00 Cdn for 6 mos worth. This is for 18-22 lbs. Hope this helps.

Maybe cheaper over the internet-I haven't looked into it.

Okay, Arlene, thanks so much for the info. I think I'll be sticking to K9 Advantix and Interceptor. Mosquitos are sooooo bad here in Minnesota in the summer, and Magnum gets all bit up. The K9 Advantix prevents this.

• @luzmery928:

I took her to the vet a few days ago and she said that there is something in Heartguard that is not good for sight hounds, like Greyhounds, Whippets, Basenjis, etc. It can be bad enough to cause death. I didn't want to take any chances with Jojo so we switched. I wish I could remember what the name was the vet called this.

:eek: I can't believe this, our vet gave us heartguard. I wonder if I should change vets since he dosen't seem to know about B's and I know from this forum this is usual for some vets not to know about Besanji's..how this is possible, I don't know they should know about all breeds!:mad:

No, the concern over heartguard, or ivermectin is for Collies, and Collie mixes (possibly Borzoi) not Basenjis or other sighthounds. If you google it, you will find lots of info. Everybody I know uses ivermectin for heartworm prevention…

• I take my B and Vizsla camping every year i use all the heartguard and flea stuff is their any thing that i can use to keep they from getting bit lia fly spray or some thing i use fly spray for the horses but can i use it on my dogs?

• Well, the problem with fly spray either for horses or humans for that matter would be that they can lick it off… and not only on themselves but each other... and we know how Basenjis can lick... I would be kind of leary of a spray....

Suggested Topics