• This article is originally from Animal Wellness Magazine. The author does make some side notes in regard to coat color, type, and length of coat.

We have found it interesting that on more than one occasion we have seen others post that basenji's should be able to tolerate heat because they are African dogs. This article points out several points as far as how dogs cool and heat. Where a dog's history originates from does not seem to be addressed when describing overheating a dog. What is mentioned is coat color and how even a leisurely walk can affect a dogs temperature. We have seen dogs that are so loyal that they would push themselves to extremes in order to please their owners without regard to own health.

http://www.thepawsmahal.com/additional_info/news/Chillybuddy-Magazine-Article.pdf

• Interesting article. Written by the developer of a cooling coat, so not entirely without commercial purpose. 🙂

One advantage of having a Basenji is that unlike many dogs, they seldom pant, so when a Basenji starts to pant on a hot day, you have an immediate indication that the heat is getting to him. (panting on a cool day likely indicates stress) I have mentioned before that my current Basenji is less heat tolerant than my previous ones, possibly because he lived his first three years in an air conditioned house. Not exactly how a village dog would grow up in Africa! (all of mine have been red/white, so not a colour issue, but obviously a dark coloured dog will be hotter)

Common sense is the best guideline for dealing with heat stress in dogs. If you know your animal, you will be very aware of how the temperature is affecting him. It makes sense to avoid strenuous activity on a hot day, and if it can't be avoided to make sure there is a quick method of cooling available. (a lake is ideal, a kiddy pool or a hose will do. He doesn't like water? Wet towels work pretty well) The biggest problem where I live comes from idiots leaving dogs in cars on a hot day. The vets I know don't see a lot of heat stress from casual walking, but unattended dogs in hot cars are at immediate risk and of course may well die if not rescued quickly. We have already had one fatality and a couple of near misses this year.

• My Arnie who is red & white is not heat tolerant and he has been like this since he was young. He does like to lay in the sun though. He cannot lure course when it is hot and humid. I have wondered if it is genetic or if he has a health issue related to it. I thought I might be able to course him at the National but the weather has been extremely hot and is predicted to be that way for awhile!

Jennifer

• My tri Buddy does not do well in the heat. He just runs a hotter body temperature. He doesn't mind the cold weather and his fur is thick for a Basenji.

• Our opinion is, you own your dog, you know if they are struggling under the conditions and exercise load that you work them at. If that is the case then you should take whatever steps are necessary to keep your dog healthy. There is nothing wrong with buying some extra equipment to be on the safe side no matter what anyone else says.

• @TwinDogsDifferentMothers:

Our opinion is, you own your dog, you know if they are struggling under the conditions and exercise load that you work them at. If that is the case then you should take whatever steps are necessary to keep your dog healthy. There is nothing wrong with buying some extra equipment to be on the safe side no matter what anyone else says.

Absolutely agree with you. And some dogs will need it more than others.

Suggested Topics