How Does Your B Potty When Raining?

• I wish Oakley would understand that quick=dry

• First Basenji's

@Chealsie508:

I have neighbors that on more than one occasion have asked if Oakley was hurt because he was whining,crying and screaming because it was raining or wet…I said "no, he's just a pansy".

It is hard to explain that whine and cry to non-Basenji owners!!! Uzie will definitely let me know he wants back in the house if I am not in sight…!!

• Yesterday afternoon around 6:30, I hustled Nicky, Eddie & Chipley into the car and drove them to the local park though still drizzling a bit. We had walked them earlier, and they went to the park at 8 am as well, so this was just a quick "get empty before the rain hits" trip. No one was there, they did appropriate business and were ready to go home when a nice black and white pit-bulldog mix came in. What a nice dog! He got Nicky, (yes, Nicky) playing and chasing him and Chipley as well. Another regular with a little black terrier type came, and later someone we know with another black and white pit mix. It was "tuxedo" day at the park, everyone black and white, and we were there till 8:30 pm…in still drizzling rain! Nicky chased tennis balls and buried them, Chipley chased tennis balls and partially returned them, he and Connor (the big bulldog-mix) ran up and down the beach, it was a blast. The fact that they stayed and played (even Eddie did a bit of running and chasing) for so long in wet weather defied all odds. Chipley was pretending to be a Border Collie ('throw the ball, throw the ball, throw the ball) and seeing Nicky chase a ball, bat it around then play at burying it was a hoot! Once a ball hit the water, she would sit and stare at it (willing it to return? or for a human to fetch it for her?) but on the beach she was demonstrating some fancy foot-work to get the ball where she wanted it. The only negative was Chipley stepped in some big glob of pink marine grease and I had to try and get it our of his foot-pads, which in turn got it all over my hands! The salt and sand did take care of 90% of the grease, but we had to have a foot wash when we got home… Chip jumped into the bathtub when I asked him to!
    Truly an amazing night of un-basenji-like behavior!
    Good thing they had such fun last night, today TS Debbie is keeping us indoors, and they are missing their weekly basenji get together. Just took each out under an umbrella to get the bladders empty, now all are snoozing away. We are lucky, we rarely get all-day rain here, but today may be the exception! Good thing Buddy'sPal has her nice covered potty-area, Uzie will be using it today!

• First Basenji's

Yes Anne, had to use it. And his winter coat too this afternoon to further alleviate that cold stuff from distracting him to go…..waited at the gate and not under the canopy for me and the others to get back from the needed walk to promote potty for the older generation a few yards away-go figure! Been non-stop with wind and rain (at times pelting!) ALL day-looks the same in Tampa as well. We all just woke up from snoozing this afternoon. Hope there has been a break for you guys! Sounded like fun at the beach, sans grease....they always find it don't they! ps: I have decided to only give a light dinner. they all just pee and so as not put undue pressure on the bowels. Uzie has 'poked' but not 'dropped'. Too much rain!

• Winston, our two year old, will use our small backyard deck area when it's dry out, but if the ground is even slightly damp - he chooses to hold it, even if he's uncomfortable, so in those cases, one of us has to get dressed, harness him up, then take him out front to the street. Unfortunately, going out front makes things even more interesting, since he does not like going out when it's dark outside, so if it's rainy and dark? We get to walk him to the four-way intersection down the block, which is brightly illuminated. Then, and only then, will he "go."

Perhaps. If he feels like it.

Amy, our previous basenji, wouldn't even do that. She'd just hold it… and she could hold it for ridiculous durations, but then, she was an odd one, even for a basenji.

• they dont.

lol- they hate anything wet- unless there is a squirrel running through itl

• Usually I will wait until it dries, otherwise we have raincoats for both of them.

• I guess I'm just lucky with Finn. I'm sure he'd prefer it dry, although hes fine in the rain and snow! Maybe getting him around December helped

Suggested Topics