• I just adopted a beautiful Basenji who was found emaciated and dehydrated about a month ago. He has received excellent, loving care since then and is steadily gaining back the weight. I have a vet appointment for him in 2 weeks, but in the meantime, I am wondering if there are any supplements I can give him to help improve the condition of his coat which took a beating, I assume, from the malnutrition he suffered. I have started giving him 1000mg of fish oil once a day, but is there anything else that I could add to help with his flaky skin and dull, brittle coat?
    Many thanks in advance!

• I think that you just need to continue with the good food, the fish oil and let it work through his system. It will take time for him to heal from the inside out! Sounds to me like you are doing all the right things!

• I agree, good quality food… A good fish oil ( or equivalent supplement...some use different oils) and not too much attention such as bathing, stripping, brushing....better off letting it turn itself rather than agitating the coat. Time and lots of love and plenty of water to rehydrate the entire body....hope to get pics!

• We agree with Tanza as far as the good quality food goes. Evo is very good food and will help the coat. There is a product called Rex Oil that you can find at some pet stores. It is 100% pure wheat germ oil which is a natural source of vitamin E and it good for the skin and coat. You can also look for a similar product called Pet Guard.

By the way Rex oil is made in IL.

• Right now because Taste of The Wild High Prairie (Bison) is on the recall list, Kipawa is eating Acana kibble, NRG dehydrated food, blueberries, melons, broccoli ad other tasty, healthy things. The oil we use is Udo's 3-6-9, and I am very happy with his coat. Bless you for helping out one of these wonderful creatures.

Suggested Topics