Looking to visit a Basenji's home, with or without puppies

• It is true that the actual purchase of a dog is the least expensive part. First year, all the wellness appointments, vaccinations and neutering or spaying if you choose…in my case, Oakley also had a pretty expensive trip to the Vet hospital for getting into stuff...since his one year wellness exam I wasn't expecting to go back until his 2 year appointment thinking the expensive part was over but he's been back for pink eye once and a bite wound...it is something to factor in...most of Oakleys expenses weren't breed related...
    I want a second but that is a big factor in making my decision...

• @moetmum:

I work weekends so would be difficult. We do however have two shows coming up that you might like to come along to. The first is at Newbury, we are on the Saturday which I believe is the 2nd of June, there are 17 B's entered. The second is at Windsor Great Park which is on Saturday 30 June, we don't have entry numbers yet but it is likely to be similar numbers.

Yep we are going to the Windsor one! Can we just go and talk to people or is there a protocol for a champ show?

• Hank you Thunderbird and Chealsie, I do understand that but without meaning to sound…er..I don't know, we have a comfortable amount of money.

Thunderbird, they will be a show dog too so no spaying.

• Good luck persuading your Mum, keep us informed 😉

• @Callforcries:

Yep we are going to the Windsor one! Can we just go and talk to people or is there a protocol for a champ show?

Just come and find the B's and I am sure anyone would be very happy to show you their dogs and tell you all about them. The only time that could be tricky is if they are about to go into the ring.

Your mum is right to worry about the vet bills, not wanting to put a damper on things but although Basenjis are on the whole a robust and healthy breed if you do your research and buy wisely but unexpected things can occur. I recently almost lost my pup and ended up with a vet bill that was well over ?1,000, he is of the opinion that if he can get it down his throat and swallow it it's edible, result was a blockage.

Having said that this could apply to any dog.

• @Callforcries:

Just come and find the B's and I am sure anyone would be very happy to show you their dogs and tell you all about them. The only time that could be tricky is if they are about to go into the ring.

Your mum is right to worry about the vet bills, not wanting to put a damper on things but although Basenjis are on the whole a robust and healthy breed if you do your research and buy wisely but unexpected things can occur. I recently almost lost my pup and ended up with a vet bill that was well over ?1,000, he is of the opinion that if he can get it down his throat and swallow it it's edible, result was a blockage.

Having said that this could apply to any dog.

Suggested Topics