Looking for reliable breeder in/near San Antonio, Tx

• Hi, I'm looking to own my first Besenji!

I've done some research and think that they are the perfect fit for me! I'm looking for a breeder near San Antonio, TX that I can visit and meet the pups instead of simply trusting online posts and email addresses! I want a male but color doesn't much matter to me, but I'd be completely enamored with a black and white one or brindle colored!

I am currently a waitress full time so I'm at work maybe 4/5 hours a night but I also am currently living at home where we have a older dog, cat and my parents. My mom is home most of the time so He won't be alone for long periods when I'm at work. I do plan on moving out at the end of summer though, so would it be smarter to get him now or should I wait until I have my own place entirely?

Your help is greatly appreciated! 😃

• He can be a mix as long as he will stay under 25 lbs, apartment rules and what not.

• Wanda Pooley, Adventureland Basenjis, is in Kerrville, not too far from San Antonio. There are also other breeders listed on the Basenji Club of America website in Austin area. You should also check with Basenji Rescue and Transport (BRAT). BRAT has many more dogs than they show on the website, so don't be discouraged if you don't see one immediately that catches your fancy!

Terry

• BCOA link for Texas breeders, but you may want to look at connecting states too:
    http://www.basenji.org/joomla/index.php?option=com_contact&view=category&catid=102&Itemid=221

Brat rescues: http://www.basenjirescue.org/DOGS/default.htm

Brat mix listing: http://www.basenjirescue.org/DOGS-MIXES/default.htm
    Texas

Jay-Z 5-year-old black male basenji mix
    PeeWee 1-year-old red and white male basenji mix
    TidBit 7-month-old red and white male basenji mix Brat Foster
    Tigger 8-month-old tri colored female basenji mix

For the rest– with your working 45 hr a week, getting ready for some big changes in your own life, I do really suggest you wait til you move, settle into your new place because you may find finding somewhere that allows a dog is not going to be as easy as you thought... and then consider an older dog, not a puppy. Puppies need a lot of attention. I personally have never placed a puppy with a home that did not have people there at least every 4 hours to potty and give interactions to. You sleep/eat/shower at least 8 hours, you spend at least 2 hour getting ready to go to work/changing/showering/driving, another 8 at work. That gives a puppy about 6 hours of time a day IF you don't also have any kind of active social life going on, 5 days a week. For an adult dog, 20 mins here and there and they adjust. It isn't, imho, fair to a puppy. If you are determined to get a puppy only, move into your new place and make the contacts to have someone come in mid day to spend an hour with the pup.

• Most Basenji puppies are born Nov-Jan and are already in their new homes by this time of year. Some breeders may still have slightly older pups though. If you were to get an older pup now, you would have your Mom to help with housetraining and house manners and then by the time you move your pup will be mostly trained. Don't let location be the deciding factor on who to get a puppy from. Take your time and get to know breeders (preferably from the Basenji Club of America breeder referral list). The perfect breeder with the perfect pup for you may be in another state.

Breeders sometimes have adult dogs who need new homes. They may be retired from the show ring or from breeding or they may be older pups that didn't turn out to be show dogs. These dogs may already be socialized and trained. Just another option to consider.

• I also agree on waiting until you move, it's a huge adjustment and likely it will be hard on your puppy. Also, once you move out you may realize or get overwhelmed with the added responsibilities of grocery shopping, being the sole person cleaning..etc, costs may also get to b higher than expected. It's best to settle into your "new" life and then add a dog so your sole focus can be on that and not, "what box did i pack my underwear in?!"

• Thank you all so much! I will wait, although impatient, to get one. Perhaps I'll just wait until the next breeding season when I've got everything settled in my own life.

And I meant I work 4 or 5 hours a night, not 45hrs a week! lol

If I can't meet the puppy how will I know if he's perfect for me?

• You need to rely on a good breeder. Sometimes you have to travel…. but a good breeder, knowing your lifestyle can pick the pup that would best suit you and your life style. I don't ship puppies anyone wanting a Tanza Basenji needs to be open to traveling here if they are from a distance away.

Also, don't know if Brenda Cassell - Signet Basenjis is on the breeders list for BCOA, she is in the Dallas area (?) and I know she has young adults to place. http://signetkennels.webs.com/

• I really think waiting for the next season is in yours and the pups best interest. I myself really want a second but am realizing it's best I I wait until I close on a house before doing so, so I get your impatience! I also waited three breeding seasons before I got Oakley…every season I was at the breeders learning and preparing. In regards to knowing if the pup is right for you, that is why you go with a quality breeder, thy get to know you, your lifestyle, what your looking for in a dog...they know their puppies best and for them it's easy to match what you want in a puppy to which your getting. It's harder on you but better overall because you don't just fall for a pup whose temperament and disposition don't match your needs and wants. I actually find most breeders choose the pup for you because it tends to work out better in the long run. Just food for thought!

• @DebraDownSouth:

BCOA link for Texas breeders, but you may want to look at connecting states too:
    http://www.basenji.org/joomla/index.php?option=com_contact&view=category&catid=102&Itemid=221

Brat rescues: http://www.basenjirescue.org/DOGS/default.htm

Brat mix listing: http://www.basenjirescue.org/DOGS-MIXES/default.htm
    Texas

Jay-Z 5-year-old black male basenji mix
    PeeWee 1-year-old red and white male basenji mix
    TidBit 7-month-old red and white male basenji mix Brat Foster
    Tigger 8-month-old tri colored female basenji mix

For the rest– with your working 45 hr a week, getting ready for some big changes in your own life, I do really suggest you wait til you move, settle into your new place because you may find finding somewhere that allows a dog is not going to be as easy as you thought... and then consider an older dog, not a puppy. Puppies need a lot of attention. I personally have never placed a puppy with a home that did not have people there at least every 4 hours to potty and give interactions to. You sleep/eat/shower at least 8 hours, you spend at least 2 hour getting ready to go to work/changing/showering/driving, another 8 at work. That gives a puppy about 6 hours of time a day IF you don't also have any kind of active social life going on, 5 days a week. For an adult dog, 20 mins here and there and they adjust. It isn't, imho, fair to a puppy. If you are determined to get a puppy only, move into your new place and make the contacts to have someone come in mid day to spend an hour with the pup.

We agree with Debra on this one. It would be much better for you to get settled in your life. Like people dogs need stability. So if you are planning on moving, and getting out on your own, don't you think it would be better to see how that goes first before adopting a dog or adding one to your family?

As suggested, contacting Brat (Basenji Rescue and Transport) is something you can consider.

Wanda Pooley is certainly a very experienced breeder and might know of some available dogs or puppies if she does not have one herself.

Make sure you have plenty of time to spend with your dog. Long walks are great for them.

A tired Basenji is a good Basenji.

• Yeah, I think a retired, already trained basenji will be a perfect first dog 🙂

Suggested Topics