• Hi. Me again. Apologies. I know this issue has been discussed but my search through old postings wasn't very successful…

Alternative to NSAIDs? We have a 7.5 year old girl who needs to be taking something (broken leg in 2008, limp, inevitable arthritis), but her liver is paying the price. We have a good vet, but she doesn't think outside the box, if you know what I mean. I hear there's a holistic vet in town that may be worth a visit. But I'd like to know what you basenji experts think first!

10 days off the NSAID and, although there's still the daily backyard basenji 500 when the squirrels dare approach, she's starting to favor the leg more...

• First Basenji's

We've used yucca extract (the brand we use is from Azmira Essentials: http://www.azmira.com/ProductHerbalExtracts.htm) to manage our dog's allergies with some success. But it's part of a broad dietary regimen, so I can't say for certain how the yucca works on its own. Might be something to look into. A vial costs about $15 - $25 (if I get it online vs. a local store) and lasts us a LONG time, because you only need to put in about a drop per ten pounds of dog. It's really bitter though, so you need to dilute it in a little apple juice or soft food or something.

• What NSAID was she on? Have you tried a non NSAID pain medication like Tramadol? I assume you have her on Glucosamine/Chondrotin/MSM/HA/Ester C. There are brands out there that have the Yucca added. I am using Metacam an NSAID for two of my dogs but since it is a liquid I can adjust the dosage. Neither of my dogs are on a full dosage.

Jennifer

• Look into Traumeel: www.traumeel.com/

If NSAIDs are still an option, once the liver has rested/recovered - try and find the least effective dose. If your B is on say 25mg BID, try to taper to 25mg SID, 12.5 mg SID - if not limping after a week doing normal acvtivity, taper further 12/5mg BID.

Tramadol can be a good pain reliever though it is not a anti-inflammatory. It also has sedative properties so you might have a zonked dog (perhaps that is a good thing?!) Leanr about Tramadol here: http://www.1800petmeds.com/Tramadol-prod11064.html

Good luck.

• Hi. She was on Deramaxx. We haven't tried a pain med like Tramadol yet. She gets a daily dose of hypoallergenic Joint Max with glucosamine/chondroitin/MSM. I'll have to check into HA and Ester C. I'll also check into Metacam. Thanks.

• Thanks. Yes, if an NSAID is still recommended, once her liver has rested, it seems like we should be able to be more creative with the dosing. Again, our vet might not be the creative type - she still doesn't think the NSAID is the cause for elevated ALT enzyme - but I'll continue to "arm" myself with info! And I'll check the Traumeel and Tramadol links you provided. (You're right, a zonked wild child might be a good thing at times.)

Appreciate it!

• I had to cut the dosage of the Tramadol for my 16 year old foster and give it to her more frequently. The initial dosage knocked her out and she could barely function. She was taking Tramadol for a severe back problem and arthritis. Verify any other medications that could cause problems when taking Tramadol. I know a dog cannot take Anipryl/Selegiline or Proin along with Tramadol. Tramadol can be taken with Metacam.

Jennifer

• If you can get it over there there is a company called Horse Herbs that makes an all natural arthritis herbal supplement. My 11 year old great dane mix has been on it for 2 years and it has made a world of difference. For those of you who are not aware, Danes have a life span of usually 7-9 years so he is very much the senior http://www.horseherbs.com/

• There a couple of natural pain supplements I have seen online. I would make sure you research them carefully.

Jennifer

• @Ann:

Hi. She was on Deramaxx. We haven't tried a pain med like Tramadol yet. She gets a daily dose of hypoallergenic Joint Max with glucosamine/chondroitin/MSM. I'll have to check into HA and Ester C. I'll also check into Metacam. Thanks.

Hello Ann,
    I have tried various medications for one of my older dogs. I can tell you hands down that Tramadol works. My vet was trying very hard to get a solution for my dogs pain, so we kept trialing different things. I did research on Tramadol before I opted for it (http://www.anydogrescue.org/tramadol-for-dogs/ is a good place for research). So, I went to the Vet, she agreed we should give it a try… and it works! As you and I both know, every dog is different...but it worked for mine, so give it a try.

Suggested Topics