• @TMartin:

Yes, we do some clicker training. He loves it and learns very quickly with the clicker; watches me like a hawk if he sees that I have it.

Yeah, my guy loves it when the clicker comes out. Means he is going to get treats, he just has to figure out what will earn them for him.

"Pick it up" I started with his red rubber bone, a toy he didn't particularly like. At the time he would only retrieve plush toys, and didn't enjoy the weight and texture of the bone. I clicked initially for any approach near the bone, then progressed to requiring him to touch it, and before too long he was nosing it, opening his mouth, and voila! picking it up! Once he was solid, I put it on cue, then worked him with other objects until he understood "pick it up" applied to whatever I indicated. The whole thing didn't take long. I got him picking up the red bone quickly, then worked on generalizing it over a few days…..

We then worked on bringing me the object after he picked it up. First just picking it up and I would take it from him, then he had to carry it a couple of feet, and now he will go look for the object I name and bring it back to me. "Pick it up" is great for teaching the names of new objects, because you start with the generic, then name the object, then proof it by getting him to choose from two or three objects. A smart dog will also figure out the name of something new, if it is placed with objects he already knows the name of and you request something he hasn't heard of before. He will discriminate by choosing the one object he is unfamiliar with. 🙂

• Arwen has the Chow Chow mentality– you threw it? You go get it. She would occasionally get something just to annoy the Rottie, occasionally in the house to stop Cara.

Cara-- fetching fool.

Suggested Topics