• Hello,

My 10 week old Basenji puppy Aurora loves to chew. She chews everything, including people and it can hurt a bit. Unless she is sleeping or winding down from playing if she can get a hold of your fingers she will. I know lots of puppies chew its a phase a lot of them go through but out of all the puppies i have had i have never had a puppy bite and chew this much. I have just been ignoring her when she does it by putting her back onto the floor and refusing to play with her if she bites. Does anyone have any good suggestions on how to deal with this? Any replies will be helpful.

Thank You!
    attachment_t_13095_0_my-girl.jpg

• It sounds like all of us with 10 week olds are having the same problem. Pretty sure we all have to just stick it out. I'm sure it'll pass. Scarab is doing the same thing. x)

• @i<3mybasenji:

I have just been ignoring her when she does it by putting her back onto the floor and refusing to play with her if she bites. Thank You!

That is one good way to work on the nipping/biting issue. She's attempting to entice you to play, but she has to learn that what she is doing is not the right way to initiate play. How old was your Aurora when you got her? Puppies learn the first phases of bite inhibition with their mothers/siblings. Make sure Aurora gets plenty of exercise and good safe dog toys to chew. And continue what you are doing (the ignoring). If you make a fuss when she bites, she's learning that she is getting attention, which is what she wants. Be consisitent.

• @seaslugg:

It sounds like all of us with 10 week olds are having the same problem. Pretty sure we all have to just stick it out. I'm sure it'll pass. Scarab is doing the same thing. x)

Welcome to the forum…. who did you get Scarab from? Many of us are related by our Basenjis, especially here on the West Coast

• I got her when she was 8 weeks old. She has lots of toys and lots of walks and play time. Thank you for confirming i was taking the right approach with this.

• Basenjis chew,this s a fact of life.
    It might sound like a crazy thing to do,but I bite my pups back.
    It teaches them that I'M THE BOSS !
    It has worked for me for the almost 36 years that I've lived with
    the little beastys.
    You can call me crazy,or wrong
    I don't care
    Works for me,and my dogs all respect me,and love me.

Kathryn

• My 10 week old is doing the same thing, constant biting despite ignoring her and stopping play when it happens. I did get bitter apple spray from the pet store and she won't go near anyones feet or ankles when we spray them.

• I got my basenji Aurora from Beaubri basenji in BC.

• @Rocky1:

Basenjis chew,this s a fact of life.
    It might sound like a crazy thing to do,but I bite my pups back.
    It teaches them that I'M THE BOSS !
    It has worked for me for the almost 36 years that I've lived with
    the little beastys.
    You can call me crazy,or wrong
    I don't care
    Works for me,and my dogs all respect me,and love me.

Kathryn

Wow, Kathryn - that's funny! I'm sure you just nibble a little. Their feet smell like Tostitos, so just wondering -does the rest of the dog taste like a snack??? LOL

Suggested Topics