NC-Franklin-R&W Female Basenji-Looks PB-In Shelter

• There is no information about this girl on Petfinder but she looks PB. Here is what is said about her on a Facebook page for the shelter: "Chewee" playful and lovely. needs to be the only pet as he doesn't like other dogs or cats!! This shelter appears to be a high kill shelter based on the statement in the Petfinder ad including the number for the euthanasia room! This shelter is located near the Great Smokey Mountains National Park. It is approximately 70 miles SW from Asheville, NC, 95 miles NW from Greenville, SC, 105 miles SE from Knoxville, TN, and 130 miles NE of Atlanta, GA.

Here is her Petfinder page:

http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/22321047

Is anyone close by that could call and/or visit this girl? I have not contacted the shelter to see if she is still available.

Jennifer

• I will be happy to do what I can to help this poor girl. I'm in Knoxville, but I can't keep her or foster her, since I am not a pet-free home, I'll call about her tomorrow, though I'm almost afraid to. Giving the # of the euthanasia room is just awful! Can BRAT take her?

• If she's purebred, adoptable and they have a foster home, BRAT will take her, I don't think BRAT ever wants to say "no" but foster homes are becoming harder to come by, and more dogs are turning up in shelters. 😞
    -Joanne (

• I called about this girl, and they said that Pat from BRAT had already been in touch. Chewee is about 18 months and was left with her mixed breed son (a Basenpoodle) last Thursday. They believe she's PB, though large, with no papers and no breeder name. The ad was wrong, and she's not dog-aggressive, though she's iffy on cats. She was given up by a man who had separated from his wife and could no longer care for the animals. Oh, I hope she gets a good home, though it does not look promising for her poor puppy.

These Rescues break my heart. Kudos to all of you who do this kind of work! It is just heartwrenching to think of these poor, abandoned souls! 😞

• oh, I so wanted to see a pic of a basenpoodle.

• Poor girl had a litter young! I noticed she did have dewclaws and looked longer than usual-probably from a BYB.

Is his her son? http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/22320962 If so, this is the first mixed puppy I have ever seen out of a PB Basenji that looked nothing like a Basenji! He is cute though and looks like a happy boy! I cannot believe no one would want him but it is a rural shelter.

Jennifer

• Oh, he's adorable! Surely, someone will scoop him up. He looks like he has a lot of love to give!

I don't know if that's her baby or not, but the shelter woman did say that he was black and didn't look anything at all like Mama B. But apparently the man who turned them in was in charge of the "oops" litter, so I guess he would know. You're right, though– I don't see a speck of Basenji in him! And it sounded like BRAT wouldn't take him. BRAT is supposed to get back to the shelter on whether they will claim Chewee. She does sound like the product of a BYB. Fingers crossed for this pair.

• @dcmclcm4:

Poor girl had a litter young! I noticed she did have dewclaws and looked longer than usual-probably from a BYB.

Is his her son? http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/22320962 If so, this is the first mixed puppy I have ever seen out of a PB Basenji that looked nothing like a Basenji! He is cute though and looks like a happy boy! I cannot believe no one would want him but it is a rural shelter.

Jennifer

I don't know, i saw that one, but also didn't see any basenji in that pooX. I so wanted to see a perfect little basenji with curly hair!

• @ownedbyspencer:

I don't see a speck of Basenji in him! And it sounded like BRAT wouldn't take him. BRAT is supposed to get back to the shelter on whether they will claim Chewee. She does sound like the product of a BYB. Fingers crossed for this pair.

As an organization BRAT doesn't have the resources, neither financial or enough foster homes, to take in all the Basenji mixes out there, but sometimes individual members will step up to the plate to pull, vet and foster a mix at their own expense. The dogs will go up on the Basenji mix adoption site; I think there are about 4 with BRAT fosters up there now. And BRAT doesn't care about the breeding behind the purebred Basenjis they take in, if the Basenji is adoptable they'll find it someplace safe to go.

@agilebasenji:

I so wanted to see a perfect little basenji with curly hair!

Sort of like a wire-haired Basenji, I think it might be quite cute!
    -Joanne

• I didn't mean to imply anything negative about BRAT. I think they do amazing work. I was just saying that, according to the shelter, BRAT wasn't going to be able to take the mixed puppy. I understand why they can't; it's just so sad to think of all those homeless little guys. He looks more like a terrier mix to me, but he's a cutie whatever he is, and I hope he finds a wonderful home. Fingers crossed for Mama B, too.

I think a curly haired Basenji would be adorable!

Suggested Topics