• Your little "baseagles" are adorable accidents - I hope you can find homes for them - it's a very interesting mix.

• Well when I was eventually TOLD about them "getting together" she waited like 3-4wks to tell me as she KNEW id be mad. And I completely agree…she is an idiot. I have no shame in saying it as we aren't even friends anymore. When she decided she was to move out I told her the dog was NOT going with her if she was in fact pregnant because she was in between living places and I didnt want the dog to go through that kind of stress. And she ended up saying to EXACTLY QUOTE (I still remember as it pissed me off greatly) "I dont want her anymore now anyways...especially if she has a big litter...I cant deal with puppies...but when they are ready I want one". And at that point I told her to pound sand basically. NO way is she getting one of them...she'd prolly make the same mistake anyways! At 3-4wks along I would have felt bad about getting them aborted. Im positive I can find good homes. Ill be requiring vet references and home checks and such. Yes both parents are healthy. Anubis my B has been going to the vet twice a year ever since I got him for health checks and he is always UTD on shots. He is 4 now and Ive had him since he was 6mo. The Beagle momma went for several health checks during the pregnancy as well and is said to be extremely healthy as well. I am fully aware of the responsibilities of such a large litter and im totally committed to it. I also insist on the puppy coming back should the new owners not be able to keep it. And they are going to get a crash course in Basenji behavior if they do not already know about them. Granted its not a full blood B but its STILL half and thats still cause for a normal Basenji terror on 4 legs lol.

• I am glad that you are being so responsible about this litter. Finding them good homes and requiring puppy back etc, even if they are not a PB. Sh** happens sometimes to even the most responsible of breeders and when a female comes into heat good luck trying to keep them separated. I am glad that you had the heart to keep the Beagle knowing she was possibly pregnant and keep her away from your ex roomate. That woman is obviously not responsible in the least let alone responsible enough with a pregnant dog. I would have told her to 'pound sand' as well, that she was not getting a puppy and she should never be able to have another animal again! Even a fish! They are adorable little pups, right now they look a lot like a baby B. Good luck with finding them proper homes but like the others, I would not let them go until they are about 10 weeks of age.

• Thank you for the support…I didn't want anyone on here thinking that I myself was the irresponsible one. When in fact it was HER who was irresponsible. I will not be letting them go until they are at least 10wks. Ive gotten a LOT of info from people on here which I appreciate greatly and are learning a lot online and from my vet as well. I have 3 tricolored puppies and the rest look like Daddy 🙂

• @Anubis's:

Thank you for the support…I didn't want anyone on here thinking that I myself was the irresponsible one. When in fact it was HER who was irresponsible. I will not be letting them go until they are at least 10wks. Ive gotten a LOT of info from people on here which I appreciate greatly and are learning a lot online and from my vet as well. I have 3 tricolored puppies and the rest look like Daddy 🙂

Will be interesting to see what they look like at 8wks or so. Mom looks like a beagle mix. Reminds of the litter from a PB Basenji and mix that had lots of Beagle that the WI Basenji club had (in fact one of the pups went to a person that is or was on the forums). Some turned out to look like Basenjis, some more like Beagles, or or two looked like Labs. As newborns, many pups resemble Basenjis. But you did get lots with white tail tips and white feet.

• Oh for sure! Im excited to see what kind of tail they will have. I KNOW some will have floppy ears as you can already tell by the shape of them…some of them have more rounded saggy ears and a few have short pointed ears.

• @Anubis's:

Well when I was eventually TOLD about them "getting together" she waited like 3-4wks to tell me as she KNEW id be mad. And I completely agree…she is an idiot. I have no shame in saying it as we aren't even friends anymore. When she decided she was to move out I told her the dog was NOT going with her if she was in fact pregnant because she was in between living places and I didnt want the dog to go through that kind of stress. And she ended up saying to EXACTLY QUOTE (I still remember as it pissed me off greatly) "I dont want her anymore now anyways...especially if she has a big litter...I cant deal with puppies...but when they are ready I want one". And at that point I told her to pound sand basically. NO way is she getting one of them...she'd prolly make the same mistake anyways! At 3-4wks along I would have felt bad about getting them aborted. Im positive I can find good homes. Ill be requiring vet references and home checks and such. Yes both parents are healthy. Anubis my B has been going to the vet twice a year ever since I got him for health checks and he is always UTD on shots. He is 4 now and Ive had him since he was 6mo. The Beagle momma went for several health checks during the pregnancy as well and is said to be extremely healthy as well. I am fully aware of the responsibilities of such a large litter and im totally committed to it. I also insist on the puppy coming back should the new owners not be able to keep it. And they are going to get a crash course in Basenji behavior if they do not already know about them. Granted its not a full blood B but its STILL half and thats still cause for a normal Basenji terror on 4 legs lol.

You must have noticed she was in season when you returned from your trip? That really should have been a clue that more than likely something happened? I would have had her spayed as soon as she stopped bleeding, telling the Vet that it was possible she was bred.

• I knew she was in season but I guess I gave Melia (Ex roommate) too much credit in possibly keeping them separate. At the former house I lived in I had a fenced yard AND a smaller pen in the back yard. She was in the pen when I returned from visiting family and I knew she was in season which is why I assumed she was in the pen. To be away from Anubis. She didnt tell me ANYTHING till about 3-4wks later about her being bred. She eventually told me she put her in the pen AFTER Anubis got a hold of her to avoid him doing it again and she didn't realize first times usually the charm. Even so the puppies will be going to good homes, vet references and a home check will be performed and as soon as the vet gives her the okay the mom will be spayed. Ive got an appointment set up for Anubis as well at the ABC clinic. They dont use Ketamine so he should be fine.

• Thanks for clearing up the confusion. Obviously in your shoes I would have done the same thing, since she didn't have the decency to inform you promptly. Perhaps she was hoping the mating didn't take? Cute puppies. Hope you are able to find all of them suitable homes. 🙂

• Have you contacted the clinic about how much it would be to spay/neuter the pups? Many clinics spay/neuter at 8 wks. or when the pups reach a certain weight.

Jennifer

• No because Im not spaying/neutering ALL 9 puppies. Thats the owners responsibility…Im not made of money. The Mom and the puppy im keeping will be spayed.

• You could charge a little more to cover the cost to make sure that these puppies do not contribute to pet over population by having puppies of their own.

• is it possible to have the new owner prepay for a neuter? and then they could go to their new home after you've seen the recipt from the vet? not a fail-proof system, but maybe better than nothing???

• @Anubis's:

No because Im not spaying/neutering ALL 9 puppies. Thats the owners responsibility…Im not made of money. The Mom and the puppy im keeping will be spayed.

While I understand this was not a planned thing… it is your responsibility the make sure that the people that adopt these pups do not then go and breed them. Yes, costly..... not the owners responsibilty, but sadly yours

• @lvoss:

You could charge a little more to cover the cost to make sure that these puppies do not contribute to pet over population by having puppies of their own.

im going to find a way to maybe get the people to pay more for them to cover the cost of their altering. Or find some way for a contract or something like that…maybe like charge them some kind of fee for a type of "deposit" and in order to get that back they have to provide proof they got the dog spayed/neutered. Because if I go and spay/neuter all 9 and say charge them $75 per puppy or something and no one wants to pay that much for a mixed breed Id be stuck with puppies no one wants. And if I go DOWN on the fee for them then Id REALLY be out quite a lot of money for sure. I want good homes obviously but I def. need a way to cover the altering of 9 puppies. 8 going to new homes and one that im keeping.

• I like the idea of charging them say $100 (I don't know what it costs to get spay/neuter down there, I know it is expensive here) and then once they have proof of that then you can give that deposit back.

• While I completely get the "not add to the overpopulation" argument but even responsible breeders dot spay and neuter puppies before leaving. Granted there's a contract and that's why I think a contact should be part of the puppy package I think it a little unfair to ask more of her to neuter all 9pups when not even a responsible breeder generally does this. Its just my opinion

• Do you know of a reputable rescue-one that spays/neuters their young puppies that might be able to take your puppies? This is one option and perhaps you could give them a donation for taking them.

Jennifer

• Many rescues will reimburse at least part of spay/neuter cost. That said, I paid the rescue where I got my Rio, $300 to adopt him (they reimburse about $100) so I really paid $200 for him, and he is a mix. An unknown mix. You know the pups parents and they are both desirable breeds! I think people looking for a puppy who have looked at some rescue sites, know h this is a common practice. Good Luck! They are so cute!!!

• @Chealsie508:

While I completely get the "not add to the overpopulation" argument but even responsible breeders dot spay and neuter puppies before leaving. Granted there's a contract and that's why I think a contact should be part of the puppy package I think it a little unfair to ask more of her to neuter all 9pups when not even a responsible breeder generally does this. Its just my opinion

I agree with Chealsie 508. Carefully screening homes, written contracts, and keeping in contact with the puppy buyers does wonders to keep pups from being indiscriminately bred. I won't do a pediatric spay/neuter and I advise others to wait until the pup has physically matured before the surgery is done.

Suggested Topics