• Can you show a Basenji who has had corrective surgery for Entropin?(inverted eyelid)

• Uh…I don't know. I have never heard of that being a problem with a Basenji. I kind of doubt it......but I am not sure....

• I was thinking the same thing, Andrea….. I think the only thing you can really do is ask AKC and see what they say.... somethings are OK like Umbical Heria repair or surgery for broken limbs.... but that has only been in the past 10 years or so....

• @Dee:

Can you show a Basenji who has had corrective surgery for Entropin?(inverted eyelid)

I know that here in the UK you can't show a dog that has had corrective surgery,though I don't know what the rules are in the US

Jenny
    Gooses Basenjis

• I've worked with a veterinary opthalmologist and we've done many entropion corrections on show dogs. Although it is frowned upon I don't think it's a deciding factor. As long as you had a good surgeon that left minimal scarring I think it's ok. But breeding a dog with entropion is a no 95% of cases are genetic and be sure to tell your breeder about it. Also check with AKC to be sure.

• The rules in the AKC are the same - surgery - no show. The intent is to ensure since we are 'evaluating breeding stock' genetic flaws covered over with corrective surgery, then include in breeding stock traits that we would not want.

That being said - A lot would depend on if it is obvious, some surgeries are not detectable.

• @dmcarty:

The rules in the AKC are the same - surgery - no show. The intent is to ensure since we are 'evaluating breeding stock' genetic flaws covered over with corrective surgery, then include in breeding stock traits that we would not want.

That being said - A lot would depend on if it is obvious, some surgeries are not detectable.

But umbilical hernias can be corrected, and the dog still shown, correct? How is entropian different?

• From AKC's Rules Applying to Dog Shows:

11, Section 8-A.
    A dog is considered changed in appearance by artificial
    means if it has been subjected to any type of procedure
    that has the effect of obscuring, disguising or eliminating
    any congenital or hereditary abnormality or any
    undesirable characteristic, or that does anything to
    improve a dog’s natural appearance, temperament, bite
    or gait.
    Even procedures which are absolutely necessary to the
    health and comfort of a dog shall disqualify that dog from
    competition if the former had the incidental effect of changing
    or even improving the dog’s appearance, bite or gait.
    Procedures that would in and of themselves be considered
    a change in appearance by artificial means and make
    a dog ineligible for shows include, but are not limited to:
    1. The correction of entropion, ectropion, trichiasis or
    distichiasis
    2. Trimming, removal or tattooing of the third eyelid
    (nicitating membrane)
    3. The insertion of an eye prosthesis
    4. Correction of harelip, cleft palate, stenotic nares, or
    an elongated soft palate resection
    5. Any procedure to change ear set or carriage other
    than that permitted by the breed standard
    6. Restorative dental procedures, the use of bands or
    braces on teeth, or any alteration of the dental arcade
    7. The removal of excess skin folds or the removal of
    skin patches to alter markings
    8. Correction of inguinal, scrotal or perineal hernias
    9. Surgery for hip dysplasia, O.C.D., patellar luxation
    and femoral head resection
    10. Alteration of the location of the testes or the insertion
    of an artificial testicle
    11. Altering the set or carriage of the tail

• Thanks, Lisa. So, still…I don't understand why correction of an umbilical hernia doesn't fall into the category of fixing something that is inheritable?

Glad though..since I did have Blondie's hernia fixed when she had a dental a few years ago...I was hoping I wasn't misunderstanding and then breaking the rules!

• Well, when Rally had her emergency C-section, they did not "fix" her umbilical hernia but because of where they made the incision it did get rid of hernia. So maybe because they are so easily obliterated by abdominal surgeries they don't include them on the list.

Suggested Topics