Anyone ever buy a puppy from Hilltop Meadows in Caldwell TX

• First Basenji's

So I told her very simply I had found a breeder closer to me and one that is more reputable. She seemed a little upset. She had responded with I do not understand what you mean by more reputable… honestly I do not want to argue with her.

Good news tomorrow I am taking a 5 hour trip to Mass. to visit Elderado Basenjis. I am sooo sooo excited! Is there any suggestions you guys have for me about what I should ask?

• @vickayx:

So I told her very simply I had found a breeder closer to me and one that is more reputable. She seemed a little upset. She had responded with I do not understand what you mean by more reputable… honestly I do not want to argue with her.

Good news tomorrow I am taking a 5 hour trip to Mass. to visit Elderado Basenjis. I am sooo sooo excited! Is there any suggestions you guys have for me about what I should ask?

Rocky1 on the forums is a breeder in Jackson, NJ and has been breeding Basenjis for 35 years apparently! I would totally contact her if I were you, just because she's in NJ.. y'know. I was surprised to hear that!

Good luck with the trip tomorrow! 🙂

• First Basenji's

I believe I did. I have contacted so many people at this time my head is over flowed but I really think tomorrow will work out. I am def willing and excited to take the trip. I just found out my puppy (hopefully) was born yesterday! But I won't be able to see her because the breeder doesn't let anyone interfere with the pups until 6 weeks. I respect that.

• Good luck on your trip…. each breeder has their own ideas/concerns about puppies... me... the more people the better and the earlier the better...

• First Basenji's

even new borns?

• First Basenji's

Oh and thank u for all of your support Tanza and others because of you I feel super confident in my decision about getting a puppy, and the life time commitment and joy of owning a Basenj, yall are the best!

• Yes, even newborns. L'Ox had visitors at a couple of hours old. I needed cottage cheese for his mom so my friend stopped by and of course wanted to see mom and baby. The next day since I worked on about a mile from home, my co-workers came over to see him.

The Time litter I co-bred with my mom had visitors at a week old. My mom wasn't going to uninvite her dinner guests they took their shoes off and washed their hands before handling the babies.

• Tanza co-bred my second litter with me and is the co-breeder on Sophie's litter due January 1.

• @vickayx:

even new borns?

Yes even newborns… with a little consideration for the Mom... (if she is nervous about visitors to her new pups) and a little thought into things like removing shoes and washing hands. If people happened to be coming from a dog show, I would be a bit more careful when they are under 2 or 3 weeks.

But again, everyone does have their own ideas.

And yup, lvoss, can't wait for those Sophie pups! Think more than 2!

• She is getting big and isn't lopsided like Rio was so maybe we missed a pup on the one side. I sort of feel like she is keeping the pups in some secret interdimensional space because sometimes she seems huge and other times not so much.

• To the OP - honestly I wouldn't worry that you aren't meeting your pup when you go visit. Keeping a newborn warm and healthy in CA (where Tanza & lvoss are located) is a hell of a lot different than doing so in freezing MA. I'm sure that is a concern with the breeder. I have been around plenty of Eldorado dogs and have found them to have good temperaments and well socialized. I always love the second guessing done here.

• I sort of am offended by that statement. I don't think that keeping them warm and healthy in CA is a hell of alot different. Animal husbandry really isn't all that different state to state. I think it is far more a personal choice. Some people subscribe to belief that that they need to shelter the pups from outside world until xx age while others feel that with some common sense precautions they can be exposed to new people and benefit from those experiences while being at minimal risk. Neither Pat nor I said there was anything wrong with the personal choice to keep visitors away until 6 weeks old there are alot of people who feel that way, just not what either of us choose to do. It is a personal choice.

• I agree Lisa…. and sort of offended by that statement also. Has nothing to do with keeping them warm... Obviously if they are in the house and in a warm room, what does that have to do with keeping them warm? And we do have mild temps here, but most mornings in the winter it is below freezing, so keep them warm is something we all are aware needs to be done, remembering that a pup first born has no reflex to shiver... hence the reason to keep the room warm. While we in California might be able to get them outdoors earlier due to the weather (which I do)... I don't believe in not exposing pups to the world and at an early age. I can tell you from experience that my very first Basenjis were sheltered when they came home here to Tanza... and did they get every darned illness that came down the pike?... that answer is YES... when I had my first litter... at 7 wks my keeper was at a lure trial... and had visitors before their eyes opened... did they grow up with less illness... you bet they did.

So while it is up to each breeder on how they raise puppies... both Lisa and I are expressing our experiences that for us it is not necessay to "lock" them away... regardless of that part of the country they are born in... as Lisa said it is a personal choice... we had chosen that at the earlier the better.

And just to add to that... I remember years ago when Vickie of Rugosa was still breeding... her pups were out in the weather.... cold, snow, rain ... whatever at 5 to 6 wks....

• goodluck! just go there and get a feel for everything, plus you will meet her other basenjis and get to sit down and talk and get to know each other.

we met our breeder for the first time before Hope was born, we met her a few weeks before they were due. We also got to meet and play with all her other basenjis and get a feel for everything. It was a good introduction for a first time basenji owner. We them met the puppies at two weeks old and then from about 5 wks old we seen them every weekend for a play (home at 9wks).

i understand your excitment, and how exciting it is to be waiting. i was going insane but enjoyed my puppy fix on the weekends.

• @tanza:

Good luck on your trip…. each breeder has their own ideas/concerns about puppies... me... the more people the better and the earlier the better...

Totally agree with this… of course use common sense regarding hygiene when you meet the pups. The more the pups interact with different people, the better.

• @Lysh:

i understand your excitment, and how exciting it is to be waiting. i was going insane but enjoyed my puppy fix on the weekends.

Oh isn't THIS true! I was a vibrating mess for almost a month before we got Kipawa, as he was a 5.5 hour drive away from us. The last week was the absolute worst. I couldn't get my mind over holding him in our home for the first time. When we saw Kevin park in the driveway I went out to meet him. He scooped Kipawa out of the back (was in a travel crate) and handed him over to me. I was just blown away - our boy was finally with us, finally home. 🙂 I will never forget that beautiful, wonderful first moment. 🙂 Yours will be just as exciting!

• I also agree that early handling and other people, voices, movements are great. We had one couple at the vet's office when they got their tails docked and dew claws removed (Rotties) and they visited the puppies 2 to 3 times a week til they took their pup home. LOL and then brought him over to visit almost weekly til we moved to GA.

I do consider some people risky– particularly if they foster younger dogs, have a puppy at home, work for a vet. I know the vet thing seems odd, but I have had 2 friends get parvo in their home from visits by vet techs. I have also only had 2 rottie pups I placed get Parvo-- BOTH owned by people who had vet jobs (vet tech and vet student who worked at a vets). Yeah, you can tell them go home, change clothes, take shoes off at door. Both claimed they asked them to and had them remove shoes outside. I don't foster with puppies in the house either just to keep stress lower. But humans... I consider it a boon. I have mentored new folks to the breed by having them come HELP with whelping. 🙂

Long ago, with my first litter, I didn't let them OUTSIDE til they were 6 weeks old. Yes, I lived in an apt and we had flea issues where you could see the fleas jumping even though they sprayed so often and so much we were toxic. But the truth is, I didn't want my 2nd litter outside either and we were in our own home, isolated yard and fencing. Fortunately MY mentor chewed me out, talked about how the more varied experiences they have young the better, and I changed. Keep in mind these were Rottweilers, but it isn't different for any breed. More experiences are good.

If the breeder is giving them lots of experiences and only limiting strangers, not an issue though I would obviously agree not in any way necessary. You might ask if the breeder is getting a lot of contact with people in her family/friends etc and simply limiting others. I also know a breeder who won't let potential owners see the pups til she decides where each pup is going as she said she got tired of people visiting early, CHOOSING a pup they wanted and then bailing when she decided that pup needed to go elsewhere.

• I think it is important that Breeders make it clear that the "breeder" picks the puppy for the homes based on the new owners life style….. might be that there could be a choice between 2, but usually not.. at least not in my experience. Different of course if the potential home is with an experience show home..... then of course they are looking for a top show prospect.

• I look forward to seeing photos of your new puppy.

• @CongoMama:

Sells each for average $1000 = $60,000 (less 1 pup from each litter which they keep since resp. breeders first breed for themselves - 12 x $1,000 - $12,000 or $48,000)- not my area of expertise), but I think one can see the general idea!;)

Don't forget those pups that we give to folks that lost one of our previous dogs to something dreadful like Fanconi Syndrome, etc. I know everyone hasn't dealt with it, but I have replaced (no, not that any dog can be really replaced) quite a few dogs over the last 4-5 years.

@tanza:

And just to add to that… I remember years ago when Vickie of Rugosa was still breeding... her pups were out in the weather.... cold, snow, rain ... whatever at 5 to 6 wks....

This year we did not have snow, but since there had been quite a bit of freezing rain, my pups didn't venture outdoors until close to 5 weeks old… normally they start going outdoors to potty at 4-4.5 weeks old. They learn quickly to potty fast then you get to come back inside to the warm house!! This has been the easiest way I have found to potty-train them... and they CRY to go outside by the time they are 6 weeks old.

Suggested Topics