• This is Taz. I just adopted him from the shelter here in williamsburg, va. All I was told there was that he was Hound/Terrier mix so I didn't know he was a Basenji until after I brought him home and my boyfriend recognized him as a basenji but couldn't remember the name of the breed until we saw a Eukanuba commercial on animal planet and he recognized the one on there as a Basenji and told me to look it up online. As I read the description of a Basenji I realized I was reading about my dog. All the characteristics of the Basenji fit my dog. I now know why they didn't say he was Basenji but instead just used the broad term of Hound instead. But hey he is what he is and I love him. This is a better pic of him though the other one shows his wrinkles (shhhh) don't tell him that though.
    attachment_t_12380_0_taz.jpg
    attachment_t_12380_1_imag0179.jpg

• Welcome, what a cutie Taz is! You are wonderful to adopt from your shelter, so many great dogs wind up there for one reason or another. Goodness a terrier/basenji mix sounds like a recipe for fun.
    How big is Taz?

• I would say more of a typical Fox Terrier head then hound/Basenji… and Most all terriers have the same type of characteristics as a Basenji. Regardless welcome...

• I see Basenji if I cover up the ears, which look Jack Russell to me. Jack Russell/Basenji cross? That's a recipe for trouble…...but hopefully the fun kind. 😃

• @tanza:

I would say more of a typical Fox Terrier head then hound/Basenji… and Most all terriers have the same type of characteristics as a Basenji. Regardless welcome...

Thanks for the welcome. I would, however, bet my life on him being Basenji. He has almost every trait that the Basenji has including the cat like tendencies where he likes to rub up against me like a cat, he has the same yodel type bark that the Basenji has as well. I could go on and on but I can tell you the only traits I see for a terrier are some physical characteristics. Yes, maybe some of the terriers have traits of a Basenji but not that many. I have raised and bred Jack Russells for many years of my life, so I know the traits of most terriers and I have never, ever seen a terrier that acts like he does. I will have to upload some video of him barking when I can catch him doing it. He also has a very strange gurgling growl he does when wanting me to throw the ball.

• Yes I agree with you. I see either Jack Russell or Smooth Fox Terrier, not sure which one. He is very fun and he definately keeps me busy. And, yes, TROUBLE is the word I would use as well, hence his name Taz. He is so Tazmanian Devilish. 😉

• Taz looks a great dog, congratulationa and welcome

• He is 22 lbs and stands somewhere between 16 and 18 inches to my best estimate He won't stand still long enought and wants to play with the tape measure, so I can't measure him correctly, lol.

• @SissyT213:

He is 22 lbs and stands somewhere between 16 and 18 inches to my best estimate He won't stand still long enought and wants to play with the tape measure, so I can't measure him correctly, lol.

Oh yeah, I'd say Basenji/Jack Russell with those looks and those measurements. Enjoy!

• What an adorable face… makes me want to squeeze it and give it a couple of kisses on each cheek!

• He looks full of mischief. Welcome Taz.

• @Patty:

He looks full of mischief. Welcome Taz.

He is definately full of mischief. He certainly lives up to his name.

Suggested Topics