• Hey all,

My name is Nate, in Columbus OH! I've been lurking around for a bit reading all the helpful information on here and finally wanted to formally introduce myself! I've been researching B's as my first "on my own" dog (I'm a 24 year old young professional), and was really excited to meet a pack tonight! It absolutely solidified my love of Basenji's and I feel confident that they're the breed for me. Though it'll be a few months before I get to welcome a B into my home, I'm excited to keep reading all I can and be active here in the forum.

Thanks for all the great info!

All the best,
    =Nate

• Hi Nateโ€ฆ
    Welcome to the Forum. Another great resource of info is the Basenji Club of America's website - basenji.org. There's tons of info for prospective new owners as well as great historical info in the Basenji University section of the site. You might check it out.

So are you on a waiting list, and if so which breeder - I have a friend who is a breeder in Columbus - Kyle @ Kaleonahe.

• Double post

• Welcome ๐Ÿ™‚

Good luck in your search for a basenji companion. We went to meet our breeders pack before bringing Watson home and it was a great experience.

I am looking forward to seeing pictures when you do get your basenji.

• Yes! Actually, the Kaleonahe Basenjis were the ones I met last night! Steve and Kyle were awesome people and extremely knowledgeable about the breed. They let me meet their puppies, their teenagers and their adult dogs at separate times to get the full B experience. One thing I quickly learned is don't visit B's with Starbucks in hand ๐Ÿ˜›

I spent about 3.5 hours with them last night talking about everything Basenji related. I have a really good feeling about them as breeders and the quality of dog they produce. That said, I'm planning on meeting two more breeders this week (Sue Kite with Klassic Basenjis and CarolAnn Worsham with HiCotn Basenjis to meet their dogs and see how they live), so I'm interested to see how breeders differ from one to the other.

I think the hardest part about the whole thing will be the wait! But, good things come to those who wait I suppose.

=Nate

• Congrats on doing your homework! And be sure that you check out health testing at www.offa.org yourself. Don't rely on what you might be told. All you need is the registered name or registration number of the sire and dam to search the site. This is not to say that the breeders you are visiting are not responsible, just that it is always good to check it out yourself.

• hi Nate - welcome, and I am excited for you, as this time last year I was waiting for my pup Kipawa! As Pat mentioned, do get the names of the parent dogs and check up on them yourself on the offa website. This will give you HUGE peace of mind when you make your final decision. How puppies are raised also plays a huge part on what your puppy's temperament will be, so visiting the breeder once the puppies are born is imperative. I would also say that you want to know that if anything happens, and I mean anything, that the breeder will want the dog back. I would shy away from someone who does not put this in the contract you will sign.

So happy you are putting in the time researching the breed, a basenjis needs and the breeders. Such an exciting time, and I look forward to seeing pictures. You'll find, if you haven't already, that we love pictures. ๐Ÿ™‚

P.S. It is so cool when you find out who your puppy is related to, because lots of people on here are 'related' by their dogs!

• Welcome Nate. I'm so pleased that you've done your research before launching into Basenji ownership. I hope that you'll get the pup that's just for you and I'm looking forward to hearing about your chosen one.

This is an ideal site for information and help on any problems you might encounter - there are so many great Basenji people here.

• Thank you thank you for the great advice and direction toward OFFA! I actually researched that information somewhat before I went to visit, then asked to make sure what was on the site was true from Kyle and Steve's mouths! Everything checked out so far with themโ€“no health issues whatsoever ๐Ÿ™‚ So exciting! Blah, this will be the longest 4 months of my life, methinks!

Suggested Topics