• Jacob, you sound a lot like me, except that I had been wanting and researching about 14 years. 😉 I did also want a puppy, but ended up going with BRAT and couldn't be more happy with our boy Gunner. He's an awesome Basenji and we really love him a lot! That said, I'm also thinking of another basenji at some point in time, and a puppy will likely be the way we go, though BRAT is awesome (making a wonderful home for an abandoned basenji or a basenji that has to be given up). Good luck with your search!

• Puppies take a lot of your time, and it really isn't fair to the pup unless you have that time to give. It's not good for any dog to spend too much time alone, especially locked in a crate. It can be disastrous for a pup. If you're home a lot, by all means get that special puppy, but if you spend much of your day away, an older dog might be the way to go. Of the five Basenjis I have owned, two I raised and three I adopted between the ages of eight months and three years. It was far easier to cope with already housebroken dogs and integrate them into our home. And down the road, if you do get a puppy, you will have a companion so the pup doesn't have to be alone.

Suggested Topics