• I ordered the re-test for Fanconi on C-Me and Franie on November 1, 2011

Checking the OFA site this morning: Franie had tested pClear with the Linkage test, so these were the expect/hoped results.

AB TANZA LIFE IN THE FAST LANE
    FRANIE
    F BJ
    HP36381202 Fanconi Retest Retest scheduledProcessed: 11/08/2011
    Test: FANCONI SYNDROME
    Results: CLEAR/NORMAL

C-Me (Ch Klassic-Tanza Color Me Tri) is getting a new kit, apparently there was not enough "spit" DNA to do a second test…. I swear it is sometimes really tough to get enough on the swab from these Basenjis!

• Hurray for the confirmation of great results for Franie!

Now hopefully you can get the same for C-Me.

• That is absolutely great news! Well except having to do the 2nd one. Yeah I really had to scrub them to get enough.

• Very good news. I hope the same good news for C-me

• @Patty:

Very good news. I hope the same good news for C-me

We are expecting the same, she was pClear on the linkage test from two pClear parents, but since there is a chance, you never know. While I would rather her be Clear, if it happened to come back Carrier, easy enough to deal with in breeding.

• I also got my retest results today for the two I submitted the same time as Pat. I got similar results to her too.

DC Sherwood's In The Nick Of Time SC, RN, VFCh, LCM, JOR
    Received: 11/03/2011
    Processed: 11/08/2011
    Test: FANCONI SYNDROME
    Results: CLEAR/NORMAL

I had also had L'Ox done but he didn't have enough spit. Not too surprising though since he was a baby, baby puppy and hated the sponge in his mouth. Hopefully he will be more cooperative as an adult. With his dad now tested as Clear, the worst he can be is Carrier.

• That's interesting that you've already received your results. I ordered the test on October 30 because of an email I'd received from OFA. The charge never showed up on my credit card statement after several days, so I emailed OFA to find out whether or not they'd actually received the order. They did, and a day or two later, the charge finally showed up on my credit card.

I just checked the OFA site and they're still showing only the original test that was done back in May. I have not heard back from them regarding the need for another test kit, so am assuming that they have enough DNA to do the retest.

I'm sure they're swamped with orders for retests, but find it interesting that they apparently don't do the tests in the order that they are received. Perhaps they do tests for breeders first, which I can totally understand, particularly at this time of year when breeding is being done.

• I have a question that may sound stupid, but here goes: if you're not planning to breed your Basenji (mine is neutered) should you still do the test? I ask because everything I have read says you should still do monthly strip testing b/c the OFA tests aren't 100% accurate. So if I need to strip test every month anyway, it's seems redundant. Any advice?
    Thanks!

• Bewler, the NEW fanconi test IS 100% accurate! So, yes, definitely have it done…we did with Blaze, and he's neutered, too.

• @LindaH:

Bewler, the NEW fanconi test IS 100% accurate! So, yes, definitely have it done…we did with Blaze, and he's neutered, too.

Okay just so I am clear - can you tell me exactly which test to order (the full name) and I assume I get it from OFA?
    I know I sounds like an idiot, but it would be just like me to order the wrong test!
    Thanks so much!

• @LindaH:

Bewler, the NEW fanconi test IS 100% accurate! So, yes, definitely have it done…we did with Blaze, and he's neutered, too.

Okay just so I am clear - can you tell me exactly which test to order (the full name) and I assume I get it from OFA?
    I know I sounds like an idiot, but it would be just like me to order the wrong test! And - if the results are negative - does that mean my B will not develop Fanconi later?

Thanks so much!

• @bewler:

I know I sounds like an idiot, but it would be just like me to order the wrong test! And - if the results are negative - does that mean my B will not develop Fanconi later?

Thanks so much!

If you have never had the test done go to www.OFFA.org, then to OFA/MU DNA tests (under Disease Info), then to Fanconi.

The first DNA Fanconi test listed is for a new test, order this if you had not done the linkage test. If you did the linkage test, scroll down to you get to Fanconi retest, this is if you had done the linkage test. If you order the retest and there is enough DNA on file the test will be done, if there is not enough, a new cheek swab kit will be sent to you.

With the direct test that means if Clear or Carrier your Basenji will not develop Fanconi

• @LindaH:

That's interesting that you've already received your results. I ordered the test on October 30 because of an email I'd received from OFA. The charge never showed up on my credit card statement after several days, so I emailed OFA to find out whether or not they'd actually received the order. They did, and a day or two later, the charge finally showed up on my credit card.

I just checked the OFA site and they're still showing only the original test that was done back in May. I have not heard back from them regarding the need for another test kit, so am assuming that they have enough DNA to do the retest.

I'm sure they're swamped with orders for retests, but find it interesting that they apparently don't do the tests in the order that they are received. Perhaps they do tests for breeders first, which I can totally understand, particularly at this time of year when breeding is being done.

Test are done in order received, OFA would have no idea who is a breeder or who is not. And while the email might have been sent out on the 30th of October, the retest was not available until November 1, 2011. I would have thought you would have your results by now. You should have received a link to check on line with OFA as to the status when you ordered the test?

As far as the results (on the dogs OFA page), I believe that is only updated twice a month, so while you would have the results, you may not see it for a few weeks updated on your dogs OFA page.

• @bewler:

I have a question that may sound stupid, but here goes: if you're not planning to breed your Basenji (mine is neutered) should you still do the test? I ask because everything I have read says you should still do monthly strip testing b/c the OFA tests aren't 100% accurate. So if I need to strip test every month anyway, it's seems redundant. Any advice?
    Thanks!

It was the linkage test that was/is not 100% accurate, the direct test is. Strip testing would only be necessary if your Basenji came back as Afflicted with the DIRECT TEST.

• @tanza:

It was the linkage test that was/is not 100% accurate, the direct test is. Strip testing would only be necessary if your Basenji came back as Afflicted with the DIRECT TEST.

Wow! Thanks so much for the information! I have a BRAT rescue and because I know nothing of his lineage, I worry. I so appreciate your information!!!! THANK YOU!!!!!!

• Your welcome!

• Thanks to your prompt advice - I just ordered my test. Okay - so now I am nervous!! 🙂 Cody is my first ever pure-bred Basenji so I find all of this Fanconi stuff daunting.! But I know whatever the results - we'll do what needs to be done. Still - it's all a little scary. But, better to know than not, right? And again, thanks for taking the time to give me the information. This is why I LOVE this group! It's like I have a whole arsenal of folks to help me raise my beautiful B correctly!

• @bewler:

Thanks to your prompt advice - I just ordered my test. Okay - so now I am nervous!! 🙂 Cody is my first ever pure-bred Basenji so I find all of this Fanconi stuff daunting.! But I know whatever the results - we'll do what needs to be done. Still - it's all a little scary. But, better to know than not, right? And again, thanks for taking the time to give me the information. This is why I LOVE this group! It's like I have a whole arsenal of folks to help me raise my beautiful B correctly!

IMO, better to know…. Better yet would be is all breeders would health test before breeding especially now with the Direct test. And even better would be if BRAT tested before placement, or gave the option to the person considering adoption. At least IMO.

• Linda, when you ordered the retest they should have sent you an email with a link in it to check the status of your order. If you click on that link it will take you to a screen that shows where your sample is in the processing sequence and the result if it has been run. If you never recieved that email or lost it, you can request they resend it, they will ask you for some information to verify that you are the owner of the dog.

• Pat and Ivoss: That's the thing…I never received an email from OFA except for the one that was in reply to my email to them asking if they'd ever received the order. The woman who replied to my email, Carol Skinner, said they'd received the test and a few days later (November 4), the $50 charge was made to my credit card. I have no idea why there was a 5-day delay between the time I ordered the test online and the time it appeared on my credit card. I can only assume it was because they've been swamped with re-test requests.

Suggested Topics