• Don't the Eukanuba bags over there don't have a big picture of a Basenji on them? Over here the 'normal' or 'medium breed' variety (don't know what it is called, don't usually buy eukanuba) is like that for a few years allready. Have had it a few times allready that someone asks me if my dog is the seem one that is on the dogfood-bags.
    I have even seen them in other commercials, but don't ask me for what products it was… But I remember in one of them it was a Basenji, a Puli and a Deerhound together. Couldn't believe what I was seeing, 3 of my favorite breeds together in one commercial. 😃

• @eeeefarm:

Not to be a spoil sport, but I for one am glad our breed is not well known, or featured in a lot of commercials. God forbid they should ever star a Basenji in another movie! From bitter experience, lovers of other breeds that have become popular have learned it is the "kiss of death". Once something is in demand, all the puppy mills start churning it out and ruin the breed. There is something to be said for enjoying our wonderful, quirky dogs quietly. Like belonging to a private club. 🙂

I completely agree, but in this case the Basenji's appearance is so brief, and he doesn't do anything particularly extraordinary (like those damn dalmations!), that I think we're safe with this one. But yes, we always had shelties growing up and after they became popular (maybe one won at West Minster? I can't remember what made them rise in popularity) they were never the same. All our subsequent dogs had major health issues that proved to be debilitating - and we got them from breeders. So yes, flying under the breed radar is a good thing for Basenjis. But it is still so cool to see one when you weren't expecting it!

• @bewler:

But it is still so cool to see one when you weren't expecting it!

I agree with that! And since it is rare, it is extra special. 🙂

• OMG a Basenji…..in a commercial!!! Yes only B people would realize that. Where I live people will stop us constantly and ask us what breed our dogs are. I explain to them that they are barkless but still very high maintenance. I also make sure to point out to do a LOT of research before they go looking for the 'barkless dog' just because they think they don't make noise. Commercials and TV shows, etc can bring a breed to popularity just because they are 'cute'. Then people aren't as privy to the health concerns that are associated with that breed. Research and reputable breeders is all a person can say to them.

• I saw it the other day and was in shock!! Totally pawesome!! 😃

• @eeeefarm:

Not to be a spoil sport, but I for one am glad our breed is not well known, or featured in a lot of commercials. God forbid they should ever star a Basenji in another movie! From bitter experience, lovers of other breeds that have become popular have learned it is the "kiss of death". Once something is in demand, all the puppy mills start churning it out and ruin the breed. There is something to be said for enjoying our wonderful, quirky dogs quietly. Like belonging to a private club. 🙂

@eeeefarm:

Gee, could you point out to me where I said that, please? I can't seem to find it in my post…..

Your "not to be a spoil sport" then explanation seemed to indicate you believed you thought others didn't know or wanted them "popular" when in reality, again– I doubt anyone here or any breed board would want it. You stated the obvious, commonly held views as if they were contrary to what most actually think.

• @DebraDownSouth:

Your "not to be a spoil sport" then explanation seemed to indicate you believed you thought others didn't know or wanted them "popular" when in reality, again– I doubt anyone here or any breed board would want it. You stated the obvious, commonly held views as if they were contrary to what most actually think.

Nope, didn't mean that. Of course people know what popularity does to a breed. My comment was only to soften the reminder…...yes, stating the obvious, didn't know it was a crime. 🙂

• It does feel like a "private club" owning a Basenji. First breed I've owned where it really is a breed all it's own; people who don't own one just can't understand… And they dont! May be snooty but it's true, they are not for everyone, not everyone can "hack it" owning one and only once you do, you realize how great it is to share with others who get it.

• Wow, not a crime any more than my asking if you really believed others didn't know was. But whatever.

• The Eukanuba website says that this commercial was shot in Europe.

• @Chealsie508:

It does feel like a "private club" owning a Basenji. First breed I've owned where it really is a breed all it's own; people who don't own one just can't understand… And they dont! May be snooty but it's true, they are not for everyone, not everyone can "hack it" owning one and only once you do, you realize how great it is to share with others who get it.

I agree that it does feel like an exclusive club in having a basenji. Especially when you have a forum like this. I love the fact that we can come on here and banter and talk about issues and concerns where everyone else understands what you are going through. Before I found this site I did not know about all B's trying to 'scent' themselves, or that it seems like they are afraid of the dark. It kind of feels like we are all a big family and everyone is here to help everyone else.

• That was the commercial that my BF and I realized that my adopted baby was a basenji. My BF knew what he was but couldn't place it and we saw the commercial and knew he looked like a Basenji but when we looked up the traits and personalitly of the Basenji we both agreed that he was a basenji. I couldn't have been happier.

• The basenji club…. kind of like the Freemasons. Perhaps we should have secret handshakes/paw shakes.

• I saw it …...and ... exclaimed.. It's a Basenji!!!!!!!
    Like its the rarest of finds....
    Never saw the commercial again!!!

Suggested Topics