Has this happened to anyone?

• My little girl has been mistaken, more than once, for a pitbull pup. The only terrier she has in her is Jack Russell. Tonight a man said to his two dogs, "don't play with that one, she's a pitbull". When I tell people that she is a Basenji mix (if they are familiar with the breed, most aren't) they relax and then try and smooth things over by saying how adorable she is. Well she is adorable, and very friendly, but I am starting to be concerned by the outward hostility we are coming upon. And my biggest fear, that if she got loose and animal control would be the one to get to her first…well I really don't want to finish that. She is an absolute joy at the dog park, and the majority of people take to her immediately, but there are those few that just bring me down. 😞 Anyone have same the experience?

• I got a lot of 'wow look at that jack russell' or 'whoa where did you get the shiba inu with no hair!' but I have never been told that I had a pitbull…. you just have to educate people and be prepared to answer a lot of questions.

• Yeah, I guess I'll just have to brush up on my Basenji history 🙂 Seriously, a shiba inu? Wow, okay that's a new one :😁:

• The Shiba didn't bother me…...we had a Shiba Inu for 14 years and B's kind of do look a Shiba with no fur. It was the Jack Russell that got me. I mean look at their tails!!! B's have a nice little curly tail. But yeah we are kind of out in the middle of the boonies and I think we had the first Basenji in the city. People would see us walking while they were driving by and back up, roll down their windows and ask what it was and where we got her from.

• First Basenji's

Hmm, not really that new to me. 😉 When I just had the Shiba, I got a lot of "Is that a basenji?" inquiries. And now that we have a Basenji as well, we get a lot of, "Are they… related?" or if people realize that they're totally different dogs, but they're not sure what they're looking at, they'll ask, "Which one is the Shiba Inu/Basenji?"

Once, one kid who CLEARLY had no idea who he was talking about asked if the Basenji was a Rottweiler and if the Shiba was a Shepherd. It's like he just randomly picked some dog names he had heard before and inserted those breeds into his question.

As for the few that would bring you down, frankly speaking, screw 'em. Even if your girl is part pit bull, so what?! You're obviously socializing and caring for her, allowing her friendly personality room to grow. Unsocialized dogs of any breed are the ones that the ignoramuses should worry about, but many of them will never realize that. Over time, your dog's good behavior will speak for itself and will hopefully cut down on targeted insults (because you're a regular in good standing), and perhaps also breed stigmatization.

• Yes, I guess they do, look like a hairless Shiba Inu, but I guess I just never thought of it. I wouldn't be upset if they said Jack Russell, even though she only has the ears of one, that is the other half of her. Speaking of tails, hers is just starting to curl, it's too cute! I don't mind anyone asking questions about her. Matter of fact, before I found out what she was (DNA test) a man at the dog park said, "wow look at that gorgeous little Basenji pup". He said he had Basenjis before and gave me a brief history of them. So when the test came back that she was indeed Basenji, I started reading everything about the breed that I could get my hands on. I feel very fortunate that this little showed up in my life.

• @curlytails:

Hmm, not really that new to me. 😉 When I just had the Shiba, I got a lot of "Is that a basenji?" inquiries. And now that we have a Basenji as well, we get a lot of, "Are they… related?" or if people realize that they're totally different dogs, but they're not sure what they're looking at, they'll ask, "Which one is the Shiba Inu/Basenji?"

Once, one kid who CLEARLY had no idea who he was talking about asked if the Basenji was a Rottweiler and if the Shiba was a Shepherd. It's like he just randomly picked some dog names he had heard before and inserted those breeds into his question.

As for the few that would bring you down, frankly speaking, screw 'em. Even if your girl is part pit bull, so what?! You're obviously socializing and caring for her, allowing her friendly personality room to grow. Unsocialized dogs of any breed are the ones that the ignoramuses should worry about, but many of them will never realize that. Over time, your dog's good behavior will speak for itself and will hopefully cut down on targeted insults (because you're a regular in good standing), and perhaps also breed stigmatization.

That's hysterical about the little kid! And your babies are beautiful! Nice pic. 🙂

Oh I know there will always be those that are narrow minded, and they don't really matter, but unfortunately my state requires insurance if you do have a Pitbull, tons of fear surrounding the breed. You are absolutely right that her good behavior will speak for itself, I just have to remind myself to remain calm around those individuals, that a smack upside the head is probably not a good idea 😉

I think the hardest part for me tonight was that I felt like my baby was intentionally being shunned, so I was being an overprotective momma. I'll be better tomorrow, and start to educate instead of reacting in fear.

• Is she brindle? Someone once asked me if my dual champion brindle basenji was part pit. "Uh, no, he's a basenji." the reply? "Yeah, but I bet when they made the breed they used pits." "Uh, no, basenjis as a breed are about 5,000 years old." <sigh>Oh well. Funny, nobody ever asked me if my red/white or tri colored basenjis were part pit.</sigh>

• @agilebasenji:

Is she brindle? Someone once asked me if my dual champion brindle basenji was part pit. "Uh, no, he's a basenji." the reply? "Yeah, but I bet when they made the breed they used pits." "Uh, no, basenjis as a breed are about 5,000 years old." <sigh>Oh well. Funny, nobody ever asked me if my red/white or tri colored basenjis were part pit.</sigh>

No she's red/white. Well at least I'm not alone in this. I think it's also because they are so sleek people tend to label when they don't know what breed they are looking at. I do know that she can outrun any pitbull at the dog park. Well just about any dog there and that always gets comments on how graceful she is. Oh and there is always one that says, "man, she's got some wheels" LOL!

I've tried telling people that this breed is extremely old and has even been found buried in Pharaoh tombs. I usually get the response of, "well she doesn't look like a wolf" Um, huh? Yeah, sigh…

here's her pic

attachment_p_147565_0_basenji-macy.jpg

• Oh she is really cute! That combination resulted in a very pretty little dog.

• Our Chaffie is in Holland so much mistaken for a pitt bull, we have heared people tell to eachother, Look there THAT is a full breed pittbull! you don't see them often! hahaha
    Chaffie has very masculin jaws from the food they get (is is a really good chewer) and with his brindle color people will sometimes think he is a pittbull…
    I don't care, pitbulls and pittbull like dogs are usually very sweet dogs only often have the wrong owners...
    And I think, people that are saying such things about a breed even before meeting a dog.. are not much worth to feel bad about it.

Shiba inu, jack russel but also when they are puppies, they are here often mistaken for a shar pei!

• Watson has been called a toy fox terrier, a rat terrier, and a doberman o.O

I had a friend who had a swiss mountain dog who routinely was identified as a beagle by folks 😉

Your sweet little girl looks nothing like a pittie…but many people that are not dog savvy are not aware on what the finer points of breed id are. It is sad to see that the prejudice against pit bulls is alive and well 😞

• Someone once asked us if Maxx was a Corgi! We've also gotten the Jack Russell inquiries.

• @Shaye's:

Oh she is really cute! That combination resulted in a very pretty little dog.

Thank you! I think so. Wouldn't trade her for the world 🙂

• I was jogging on a remote country road in NY about 20 yrs ago with my black and white basenji boy then a scruffy looking guy in a pickup slowed down and asked me if my dog was a pit bull, I did not hesistate one bit to say why yes he is, and the truck moved off swiftly.

• @lisastewart:

I was jogging on a remote country road in NY about 20 yrs ago with my black and white basenji boy then a scruffy looking guy in a pickup slowed down and asked me if my dog was a pit bull, I did not hesistate one bit to say why yes he is, and the truck moved off swiftly.

I like that response! 🙂

People have asked me if Kipawa was a Shiba Inu. I was also asked if he was a fox. 😮

• The only comment I've had was about Ruby once when I was walking her in downtown Portland. A little girl and her mother saw Ruby and the little girl said - "look mama, a baby deer." It was too cute.

• I was once asked if my Red & White was one of those "biting benjis". I was speechless (and young). Today my retort would be different!

I'm with Curly Tails. Your pup is adorable! Don't listen to other people. Some people are just ignorant and don't think before they speak.

• "Is that a Chihuahua?" "Is that a Rat Terrier?" But never a Pitbull.:)

• I was at a dog park with my tri girl and a couple of red & white fosters when I overheard a man tell his friends that my red & whites were Basenjis and the tri was some sort of mix because Basenjis ONLY come in red & white. He then came over to ask about my dogs and proceeded to loudly argue with me, telling me that I was completely wrong that my tri was a Basenji. I was really irritated at that point and told him that he didn't know what he was talking about since she was a show dog with ribbons & points to prove it. Honestly, some people just enjoy showing off their ignorance in large groups.

Suggested Topics