Sorry, I just saw your message.
Fortunately for me I'm keeping my dog. After much discussion and agreement we've decided to keep him. He's much calmer and easier to live with now he's 7m.
Wanted: Male Basenji :)
It's been awhile since posting here, I haven't posted since Isis was put to sleep in April 09… It was an incredibly hard time for me and my husband.
July 2010 came around, and we felt like were were ready to get another dog.
We rescued Dee Dee (a beagle pitbull) from the shelter and while she's a brat sometimes- but we can't imagine life without her!
But we miss having a B and we think Dee Dee is ready for a new friend.
Can anyone direct me to fanconi free breeders in California? (San Diego - Hollywood?)
We have cats and plan to have children, so if there is a male Basenji (with proof of being Fanconi free) who likes cats and kids who needs a good home... my husband and I would be interested
to see him
But, we are also willing to wait for a litter in California, AZ or maybe NV.
I can't let my husband go through fanconi again, it crushed him, so any help in finding a B that fits the criteria would be very much appreciated!
Thank you, and I hope to chat in the forums again
There is a direct genetic test now for Fanconi as of September 12, 2011, so if you are thinking of a rescue, you can have the test done before adoption.
In So. California you have Medfly for rescues (www.basenjirescue.com)
As far as breeders there are a number of breeders in So. California and a few in AZ (none that I know of in NV). If you go to www.basenji.org and then to breeder referral's you can see all the breeders in the different states. Most important thing is the DNA test for Fanconi. The Direct test replaces the Linkage test that came available in 2007. And it is always best to check for yourself for Fanconi results at www.offa.org
BRAT does have several b's in Ca that need homes and you can also contact Karen. Karen Jones
Basenji Rescue of California
PO Box 93
Acton, CA 93510
Thanks Pat. I couldn't remember the name, but have talked to Karen many times..seems like a very nice person
krunzer last edited by
Hope this works out for you!
thanks! emailed the addy above, if we can find a B that needs a home- that's even better
Do let us know how it goes..
Unless you plan on breeding, a Fanconi test result of 'carrier' shouldn't be a problem.
Hi Kipawa! Our last B had Fanconi, and my husband was very animate about getting a B without Fanconi, if we were to bring a B into our lives again. We don't plan on breeding, and if people are breeding the gene 'out' of the breed, it's just our preference to have a B that won't have this gene.
DebraDownSouth last edited by
Okay but again, if the dog is only a carrier, and we now have a gene test, not just marker, the chances are slim to near zero the dog would develop Fanconi.
That said, I do understand and if you husband feels better with a clear dog, you should be able to find one! Sadly, the biggest issue with me and BRAT is not only that they won't test, but they won't let a potential home pay for testing prior to getting a dog. The more things change, the more they stay the same.
BRAT is not only that they won't test, but they won't let a potential home pay for testing prior to getting a dog.:(
Gee… I knew THEY wouldn't test, but didn't realize they won't let a potential home pay for a test. What are they concerned about? Confidentiality? They could ask the potential home people to sign a document stating they will not divulge the results of the test, and that the test results not be included in Sally's database.
If this is what it takes to get a dog to a new home, you would think everyone would do their best for the individual dog? I see it worse if a BRAT dog gets a new home, the owners test, and then find out the dog has tested affected. If that happened to me I would be p*ssed off, though I would keep the dog. I know others wouldn't, and can appreciate why they wouldn't.
lvoss last edited by
Their position has been stated several times on the subject of testing. They do not want the dog's status known because if the dog tests as Affected it would adversely effect their ability to adopt the dog out. They feel that once the adopters have the dog in their possession they will be more likely to tough it out if they find out the dog's status.
If I remember correctly, when we only had the linkage test BRAT also used that was a reason not to test, because it was just a linkage test. However, now that there is a direct test, I would think it is really going to be hard to hold that position.
However, now that there is a direct test, I would think it is really going to be hard to hold that position.
Agreed. Honesty should apply.
DebraDownSouth last edited by
I think Brat walks on water in many ways. And I get that financially they don't have an extra (say 240 dogs x 65) $17,000 for testing. But I do wish people would get together to fund raise JUST for Fanconi testing. And I absolutely lose it over the "won't let test" issue.
Anyway, sorry, didn't mean to hijack this.
I think that many adopters would pay for the cost. And add to that if it is a situation that a person has contacted BRAT to give up the dog and he/she is not tested then they should be required to put up that fee.
I think that BRAT does an excellent job in most respects, however this is one point that I really disagree with not testing. I am not sure that they would agree to test even if people covered the cost