Update on Athena (it's been a while) (lots of pics)

• It's been a long while since I last visited here. Must say, I love the new look of the site.

Now to Athena.

She turned 1 year old on December 27th. She is in excellent health. Her potty training went very well, She was house broken in just under 10 months. I taught her to sit, give paw, up and down…If only I can teach the bark-less dog to vocalize. I'm amazed how smart she is. She knows almost every word I say.

Some of you might remember me saying that she was biting during her early days. Well, since getting her adult teeth and getting toys for her to chew, she only bites during play time. Or she'll give a light nip on my ankle when she has to go out to do her business. ( I don't mind the nip because it's very light)

She experienced her first snow last week, even though it all melted already. Weird weather in Northwest Indiana. But she loved the snow, she even was eating it haha.

I cannot explain how much fun I've been having since I got her last February. Since she was a pup, she really grew attached to me. She's like my shadow and she never leaves my side. But she did bond with everyone in the family. Every night she sleeps on my bed or sometimes she goes under the blankets near the foot of the bed, tries to sleep on my pillow or lays her head on my chest and sleeps.
    Merry Christmas & Happy New Year to everyone. God Bless you all.

Now here's the pictures. (all of these were taken in December)

I took a great one with her, edited it, framed it and gave it to my mom for Christmas, she loved it!

• Wonderful pictures! Thanks for sharing. 🙂

• Looks like she is having a great time and enjoying all the seasons have to offer.

• Awww nice pictures. Just one thing to note though…..her nails are really long.....sorry I don't mean to be a party pooper. But they are very wonderful pictures.

• Great pictures

Krunzer…my first thoughts exactly, her nails need attention. They should be trimmed at least every 2wks. I use a dremel with the sanding band instead of nail clippers... be sure to trim the dew claws as left unclipped they can grow all the way in a circle and back into the leg.

She is really cute and looks like a wonderful part of the family.

• Lovely pictures and what a pretty girl.

• great pics; felt like I was visiting! thanks for sharing

• Krunzer & Tanza, Yes, I know her nails need to be trimmed. I have my vet do it because I can never do it myself and my parents don't want to cut too far.

• @Athena:

Krunzer & Tanza, Yes, I know her nails need to be trimmed. I have my vet do it because I can never do it myself and my parents don't want to cut too far.

It really is easy with a dremel (using the sanding band) and with Basenjis because their nails are usually white, you can easily see were the quick is. So even with using nail clippers easy to see if you are going too far. If you seach the forums you can find lots of information from those of us that use a dremel.

• I love the dremel too with sanding disc. Works like a charm. Greatest thing is you don't have to worry about cutting the quick too far like you would with clippers. I bought a Dremel 7300 with the battery pack (they are cheap 73 canadian). You tip your B on their back while on a chair grab a foot and go to it. She might be a little scared of the noise though.

• Okay I must be stressed (child leaves for france in 2 wks), but those pics made me tearful. She looks so much like my beloved Saybee. You can certainly tell she is loved and bonded.

• Great pictures 🙂

Athena is a beauty!

• She is absolutely gorgeous! Great photos, she fits in perfect by the looks 🙂

• No excuses Debra - you know you're an old softie! Hope child has a great time in France. Joking apart these pictures have the same effect on me and I don't have an excuse!

• Wow, she looks wonderful…she really seems happy. Thanks for posting!

• @krunzer:

I love the dremel too with sanding disc. Works like a charm. Greatest thing is you don't have to worry about cutting the quick too far like you would with clippers. I bought a Dremel 7300 with the battery pack (they are cheap 73 canadian). You tip your B on their back while on a chair grab a foot and go to it. She might be a little scared of the noise though.

I tried that when she was a pup but she just wouldn't hold still. I took her to my local vet and he trimmed her nails so they're all nice and short.

• LOL!! Yeah mine aren't too keen on getting it done. But I make them stay there. Is she used to being tipped on her back? I hold mine like a baby and rub their bellies. They like it, but they definately know when it is nail time and they both try to struggle. Eventually they give in and just resort to getting it done. After that they get a good treat!

• Lovely to hear how Athena is doing and all the fun you are having with her. She's very beautiful. I love the paw print picture, very arty

• @krunzer:

LOL!! Yeah mine aren't too keen on getting it done. But I make them stay there. Is she used to being tipped on her back? I hold mine like a baby and rub their bellies. They like it, but they definately know when it is nail time and they both try to struggle. Eventually they give in and just resort to getting it done. After that they get a good treat!

Yeah she's kinda used it being on her back but the sound just made her go crazy haha.

Suggested Topics