• @eeeefarm:

I think they are fine, particularly if you have a dog that doesn't crate well or don't have room in your car for the crate. But don't put them in the front passenger seat unless you can de-power the airbag. If it deploys in a crash it could injure a dog, especially a small dog. Also, you need to lock off the inertia reel so the dog doesn't pull the seatbelt out. 🙂

The problem being the Basenji that chews through the seat belt harness in 30seconds or less. So hence the muzzle

• As far as pippin goes it sounds like what I consider Oakley to have: both confinement anxiety ( big time) AND separation anxiety… Two different issues and both have to be dealt with separately and differently. Id give advice but I haven't mastered either but I sure do know the looks of it when I see it!

• So glad everyone is OK! A friend has removed the back seat of her Element and has her 3 crates secured there.
    I would love a long crate that would hold 3 basenjis and fit on the back seat of my Prius. Your photos clearly show why crating is the best way to travel with dogs.

• Interestingly enough, there has recently been a discussion about crates on the CleanRun list. CR is working on obtaining some high end crates to sell. Everything CR sells is tested by the CR staff. I am not sure how they are going to crash test these crates, but I am anxious to see them. I have a feeling they may be the solid metal (Al?) crates I've seen that are VERY expensive, but we'll seel

I have used Kennel Aire crates in my van for years. Why Kennel Aire?
    http://www.newworldbasenjis.net/kennelaire.htm

I also like that the KA crates have one inch squares. That makes it harder to suck things into the crate.

@tanza:

The problem being the Basenji that chews through the seat belt harness in 30seconds or less. So hence the muzzle

Yep, I happen to know for a fact that one of the most expensive things on a 73 VW bug is the seatbelt!

For those having problems with getting your dog in a crate, I believe Susan Garrett's Crate Games talks about that. I think it's at the end of the dvd.

Suggested Topics