• Thank You Tlish!! - That is so helpful!!! I appreciate the link and will go there now. Thank you so much.

• Do let us know how the test turns out. We can celebrate with you when hopefully its a good report.

• The Melatonin is the treatment for Atypical Cushings Disease. My girl, Missy who also has Fanconi was recently put on this because the Cushings test results were inconclusive-one positive and one negative but the U of TN test for her hormones were positive. She had the puffy stomach but no skin problems. She is 12 1/2 years old and still going strong.

You need to test your dog monthly for Fanconi by doing a urine glucose strip test.

I had a recent BRAT foster who lived to almost 17 years old and another rescue that lived to almost 16, both females. With the Fanconi affecteds it depends on how well they do on the protocol and if they are good pill takers. Zippy who did well on the protocol did not die of Fanconi but of a nasal/facial tumor/cyst and she was just shy of 11. Solomon who was a rescue died at 7 1/2 and he was not a good pill taker and we did not know how long he had Fanconi before he was rescued.

Jennifer

• Welcome to the b-forums

Piper the basenji just went through getting diagnosed with Cushings.
    http://piperbasenji.blogspot.com/
    try Jy 27

Personally, I'm not a big fan of "senior" diets for most dogs. I have 2 sr basenjis, Digital the brindlewonderkid (14.5) and Jet the trying (13.5) and both are doing great on grain free kibble (taste of the wild). I'm happy with their energy, coat, etc. I do add some joint suppliments and probiotics about once a week. If your dog has kidney issues, however, you'll need to watch the protein levels carefully.

• Thank you both( agilebasenji & dcmclcm4 ) your shared information is extremely helpful- I really apreciate the insight. THANK YOU-THANK YOU !!!

I had my girl(Star) at the Demotologist Vet back in April/May- and the tests for Cushing's disease were negative- the vet said she has never seen more normal hormone ranges from the Cushings tests she put my Star through….which was a relief. So she felt the hair loss was due to some "light/seasonal" alopecia - and to use the meletonine to re-grow her hair. Which I followed and did for her...The vet said that after the 4-6wks after her hair comes back that I should/can stop the meletonine(so that it would still work the next time she may have a bout of alopecia - if she should need it). It's been 6wks and her hair has come in lovely- and it is a much softer coat- looks & feels like velvet and has a nice sheen...her black is nice & dark and her white - is bright-white...she's looking beautiful again.

I will buy some of those test strips today- so I can test her pee on a regular basis...and will be ordering that DNA test. I want to keep her as healthy & long as possible...I am so glad to hear that there is possibility of them lasting up to 16/17yrs old- that make my heart very happy : )

Agilebasenji, is the food you feed- brand called "Taste of the Wild"? What brand of food do you use? I will try googling it- to find it for my baby 🙂 thanks for the input. And what protien levels or measurements in the food should I look for when purchasing dog food??

• First Basenji's

Welcome to the Forum! The pictures are very good close ups and show off the mirrors to the B's soul! Hope you get as much out of the forum as I did AFTER I adopted my first. Even as my second time around, I love hearing and learning more about how Basenjis rule! Sorry for your loss, but blessing to you and hugs to Star!

Suggested Topics