• When I called this AM at 6 to check on her, they said she had rested well till 4 am, then 'became very vocal' and restless. She had kept all food down so when her internist made rounds this morning, they decided she could recover at home, quietly. We got a call at 10 am to come and get her. Fever pretty much gone, still just wants to sleep and that's OK! On Hill's I/D canned food, no treats except lean chicken, rice or plain pasta. We can manage that! Will have to change everyone's eating as I can't leave kibble down all day now, but I think we can handle change.
    She has been sleeping all afternoon, just got her up for a bit of water, took out to pee, she came back in and had a nice long drink and went back to her couch. We are all so at peace with her here at home. A hospital is a wonderful place when you need to be there, and not so much when you don't!
    Nicky has not yodeled or howled or screamed since we have had her for 11 years, I wish I had heard her 'being vocal'!

Thanks again to everyone for all the kind comments and thoughts and prayers, they have really helped us and one tough little basenji girl as well!

• Houston

😃 happy dance..I am doing a happy dance..:D.

I could not be any happier for y'all…

• That is great news….

• i'm so glad she's home and ahead on the recovery schedule. did you explain to those people that she's used to sleeping on a bed not in a kennel and that she was expressing her displeasure with her accomidations?

• @MacPack:

When I called this AM at 6 to check on her, they said she had rested well till 4 am, then 'became very vocal' and restless. She had kept all food down so when her internist made rounds this morning, they decided she could recover at home, quietly. We got a call at 10 am to come and get her. Fever pretty much gone, still just wants to sleep and that's OK! On Hill's I/D canned food, no treats except lean chicken, rice or plain pasta. We can manage that! Will have to change everyone's eating as I can't leave kibble down all day now, but I think we can handle change.
    She has been sleeping all afternoon, just got her up for a bit of water, took out to pee, she came back in and had a nice long drink and went back to her couch. We are all so at peace with her here at home. A hospital is a wonderful place when you need to be there, and not so much when you don't!
    Nicky has not yodeled or howled or screamed since we have had her for 11 years, I wish I had heard her 'being vocal'!

Thanks again to everyone for all the kind comments and thoughts and prayers, they have really helped us and one tough little basenji girl as well!

I think that feeding all dogs on a schedule is a better way then free feeding… you always know who is eating what and when... Yes, it will be an adjustment but remember for those that are in good health.. they will eat.. but you might find at first that they don't because they are used to eating whenever.

• I had been pondering a feeding change away from 'free feed'. I put down a half cup for each dog, Nicky eats in the evening, Ed eats usually in the morning. Sometimes the bowl is empty all day and they eat when I put out the kibble. If they have a hungry day and eat it all, I give more, but not 'double'. Some days they hardly eat at all.
    Tonight I mixed a half cup of food with about 2 Tbsp of canned and the boys scarfed it, then got a couple of bites of chicken and broccoli after our dinner. Nicky will be used to eating this canned stuff twice a day, so even when she is better we will already have the habit.

It's gotta be, and I'm fine with it!

• Happy to hear she is home now 🙂

• LOL I have had vets call me to come pick up both rotties and a basenji over their vocalizations. Glad you have your baby home. I am with the "feed not free feed" crowd. I like to know who is eating and how much. Not eating can be a very early warning of a problem.

• Update: no dramatic changes but gradually better, went out and sunned herself for a bit, getting in her favorite beds, grumping at the boys! Everyone is tolerating 'feedings' rather than dry free feeding. All is good here, thank goodness!

• I've been following this thread and although I am new to the forum and don't know you I want to wish you all the best for your dog's speedy recovery. I know what it is like to deal with a sick animal. Waking up in the morning wondering if things will be better or worse today is no fun at all!

• LOL sounds like she is definitely feeling better.

• She has an issue with 'frequent small feedings', she would prefer frequent large feedings!
    Still needs more rest than usual but has spent time in the sunshine today, and curled up next to Chipley. So far, so good.

• Sounds like she is on the mend! 🙂

• @MacPack:

She has an issue with 'frequent small feedings', she would prefer frequent large feedings!

Zest! seconds this idea!

• Nicky continues to improve, eating well, activity seems normal but she does tire quickly. Other than that she is her normal 'cranky-funny' self. Whew. Going to make cookies all evening Wednesday to take when we go to follow-up on Thursday, for all the vets and ICU staff. Words (and money) aren't enough to thank them for saving my baby!

• Today Nicky's internist Dr. Weaver said she is amazing, pancreas is still a little enlarged but otherwise the pancreatitis seems over. She can go back to her regular Kibble (I took the nutritional breakdown for doc to see) and we have to be sure she doesn't get any fatty foods (sorry, no more cheese bites, Nick). It was an expensive week but having Nicky healthy and happy again, Priceless! I took a huge (grocery) bag of homemade oatmeal, and chocolate chip, cookies for the office and hospital staff, they all knew Nicky, the "vocal, unhappy" basenji. It is such a comfort knowing there are real experts just a half hour away!

We are hoping this will be an isolated episode, but will be watching for recurrence (vomiting, diarrhea, belly pain). She sure was happy to have a bowl of kibble for dinner!

• I am so glad to hear that Nicky is on the mend!

debbi j.

• That's wonderful news! I am happy for you. 🙂

• YEAH!!! Great news and I know you are super relieved.

• Hooray for Nicky 🙂

Glad she is all better again… 😃

Suggested Topics