• I have neighbors that leave their three dogs in the backyard all day long. It's been mid-90s here all week and today we're looking at 110-114 with the heat index. If it's too hot for us to be outside for long periods of time, it's definitely too hot for a dog or cat.

• natnatsupercat, can the humane society do anything to help those outside dogs?

• Sharron, because we live on base we have to go through housing or the MAs first. I've tried talking to the neighbors but it doesn't do much. We've been neighbors for 20 months and I have not once ever seen any of the dogs taken for a walk 😞

• I am surprised the military allows outside dogs there. I have a few friends on other bases are not allowed to even leave their dogs out unattended! 😞 Sigh.

As for what dogs CAN tolerate–- I don't gauge what is OKAY by what they can tolerate. Dogs get hot, suffer and still SURVIVE. Hell, my friends bring their HORSES in and put on fans when the heat is bad!

• It isn't that they are necessarily outside dogs…they are just incredibly "barky" dogs so they get sent outside a lot. Any and ever time anyone is out in our backyard, their dog barks and barks and bark for-ev-er until we go inside. Those dogs may drive us crazy, but they are still animals and we still feel bad for them 😞

Suggested Topics