• My puppy that is now 9 or 10 weeks old becomes really excited when I feed him. When I pick up his bowl to put food in it or if he sees his food and even if I open the fridge. He'll whine, "yell" and jump up on the cupboards and on me. I cannot pick him up or he throws himself around. I've tried putting him in his kennel or playpen until I'm done but he does the same thing. He even gets overly excited when he sees anyone else eating… even if it's just a drink.

He has access to water all day up until 10pm then the water is taken away until 5am. He eats 1/4 cup of Orijen puppy dry food with a tsp of his old food and half a tsp of wet food along with a chunk of sweet potato at dinner (5:30pm) For breakfast and lunch (6:30am and 1:30pm) he gets 1/4 cup of Orijen and a tsp of his old food with a little bit of olive oil. He has never been fed people food or table scraps. He gets unsulfered dried mango as a chew treat and I have tried giving him a carrot but he hasn't liked it. These are foods that aren't fed while I'm eating and haven't ever eaten his dried mangoes... they're only for him.

What should I do so that this problem doesn't become a life long ordeal? I don't want him to get so excited and jump up or whine. I also don't want him begging during meal times and would like a way to have him away from the kitchen without him whining.

• Teach him basic obedience, sit, stay, down, quiet. A good puppy class is a good place to start. Then have him sit or lay down. Doesn't happen overnight

• google "Overall Relaxation Protocal"

i use a down on the mat instead of sit.

this will teach him that life can happen around him w/o him needing to act.
    reward after each task, but he does not have to get up and move after each task. don't go to day 2 w/o having completed day 1. modify tasks for the space you have. do this with his dinner (or dinner and breakie if you have time) every night. no, it won't happen overnight, but it will help.

additionally you can actually shape (via clicker training) relaxed posture.
    all this from Control Unleashed. there is a book and 2 different dvd packages and a CU list on yahoo groups.

Zest will dash excitedly into her crate at meal times. Crate Games (dvd) would help too.

• Thanks so much! I'll try these suggestions and see what I can come up with… much appreciated 🙂

• Do you have a fenced backyard. This is going to sound odd, but take the dry kibble and throw it into the backyard.
    Dogs are used to using their noses for their food. We put it in a dish for them.
    This method will make him use his nose, use his energy and Hunt for his dinner.
    I learned to do this for my African village dog and my girl basenji wants to "hunt" for
    her food as well.

• @sharronhurlbut:

Do you have a fenced backyard. This is going to sound odd, but take the dry kibble and throw it into the backyard.
    Dogs are used to using their noses for their food. We put it in a dish for them.
    This method will make him use his nose, use his energy and Hunt for his dinner.
    I learned to do this for my African village dog and my girl basenji wants to "hunt" for
    her food as well.

Wow, I do have a fenced in backyard… I'll try it tomorrow night! Does it take them a long time?

• Oh, no. A couple of meals and they are in the backyard before your food leaves your hands.

• Also, once you get that backyard feeding down. Make your dog sit and feel the dog by hand kibble. He must sit before he gets a nugget. He has to take it nice, and be polite and then you give the kibble.

• Sharron, I would worry about left food getting mold and making the dog sick. I might throw some treats (counted) and do that for fun, sounds great… but not all their kibble.

• Once my pup learned sit…he was expected to sit before his meals were handed to him.

Another thing I like to do is give them their meals in food dispensing toys so they have to work a little to eat their meal. It's good for mental stimulation.

• Well, sometimes when I see food ( cheesecake, scones, rich pasta dishes) that I never eat, I lose control too! 🙂

Moth, we use your method here as well. Food must be respected and earned, so there is no feeding before Kipawa is calm. During feeding times, I also take the food away, to work on resource guarding. I do this with a toy when he is playing with it. Kipawa has never resource guarded, but I don't want it to happen.

Therese suggested a toy that is sold at www.sitstay.com that is called "Kibble Nibble". It is a plastic, larger, egg-shaped treat dispenser that exercises the mind. But you can always put a full serving of kibble in it - great for dogs who snarf down their food too fast. It's great enjoyment here for all of us - Kipawa using it and for us watching him use it.

• First Basenji's

@Moth:

Once my pup learned sit…he was expected to sit before his meals were handed to him.

Another thing I like to do is give them their meals in food dispensing toys so they have to work a little to eat their meal. It's good for mental stimulation.

Ahh Yes, the dispenser! I have a round shaped globe I found at PetSuperMarket, it has a plastic separation piece that allows for kibble. The clear plastic then has another hole. Uzie has to 'roll' it and is intermittently rewarded with the escaped kibbles. I use it to keep him occupied while I feed the other two. He then gets his other half of breakfast in his bowl. I wish I could get his excited dance on the way to the feeding grounds!!! His front legs go up while he is jumping on his hind legs and I bust out laughing every time! I get him to 'sit' on a carpet piece, place the bowl down and he has to 'wait' til I say "ok" to eat. When I introduced this to him the first time, he sat, but when I lowered the bowl he went for it. (some dogs go crazy running around, but they get the idea you are not moving til they settle down and wonder what the heck you are doing with the bowl in the air!!)
    I picked it up, and he had to understand that 'wait' meant wait til it is down on the ground. (do not use the term 'stay'-way different!) If he moves towards the bowl, it goes back up in the air….
    A few seconds then a few more, three months later he waits til I say "ok", even around the corner. Patience! Persistence! Consistence!
    So in time, he has 'waited' until I can walk a few feet away then say "ok" for the release and his time to engulf.:D

Suggested Topics