• Is your vet having you give stomach meds with the duramax? Connor eventually couldn't handle rimadly, duramaxx or even coated aspirin even with antacids and plenty of food with the pills. 😞

• Thanks all for the ideas/help and sorry I haven't been on lately.

Cairo seems to be doing much better…he's getting more active and more vocal (even more so than before the grand mal.) He is still having some minor seizure activity every once in a while and now it's back mostly to different sounds, though lapping water from the bowl still triggers some, he stops for a moment and then continues.

I've been giving him subQ fluids every other day and he's been tolerating it well, it also helps we take him to get (no sugar added) frozen yogurt after ...he loves his frozen yogurt and frosty paws. It also helps his stomach and he's also been tolerating the Duramaxx better too (though part of it is probably the yogurt and frozen yogurt helping.)

Wed or Thurs he goes back for the retesting, I'm so hoping it comes back clear.

• Sounds like a real break through. Sending positive vibes for his continued improvement.

My Maggii had minor seizure activity for a number of years, along with kidney failure.. but she live to a ripe 16+ and for that I am totally grateful…. She did great with SubQ fluids and accepted it (but not the happiest of Basenjis...ggg).... She seemed to know it was good for her

• Glad to hear that there is improvement for Cairo.

I will keep my fingers crossed for the retesting 🙂

• Hello, My very sweet 12yr old Basenji boy had a seizure this morning during our walk, just like Cairo. Nothing seem to trigger the event. It lasted about 5 minutes or so. I sat down on the sidewalk with him and tried to comfort him until it was over. His front legs were rigid and his mouth was open and was foaming a bit. The rest of his body was shaking. He was laying down and was urinating and his ruff was up quite a bit. After he came out of it I took him home and called the vet. The vet said I could bring him in for blood work, but I would have to leave him there. He also said that it could be a one time seizure and not happen again. I chose not to take him today. He is really nervous and restless and following me every where I go around the house. He is so scared that it might happen again, so am I. I didn't want to have to take him to the vet and leave him after such a traumatic experience. He is also drinking a lot of water. I really needed to vent all of this to someone. Thank You

• chakrapollo - i hope Apollo is doing better.

I just got the call back about the bloodwork and the BUN is still in the 70s, though the cre is lower (due to the fluids I've been giving him already.) The vet wants me to keep him on fluids (probably for the rest of his life) and start him on a kidney diet, to help keep him from going further into kidney failure.

• So pleased to hear of Cairo's good progress. And news of Apollo.

• @Aoibheann:

I just got the call back about the bloodwork and the BUN is still in the 70s, though the cre is lower (due to the fluids I've been giving him already.) The vet wants me to keep him on fluids (probably for the rest of his life) and start him on a kidney diet, to help keep him from going further into kidney failure.

Thanks for the update… My spaniel lived quite well with careful management for 2-3 more years after being diagnosed with kidney failure 🙂 He was in all other ways a happy, and healthy dog and was 15 by the time he passed.

I hope Cairo will do wonderfully with treatment 🙂

• @Aoibheann:

I just got the call back about the bloodwork …The vet wants me to keep him on fluids (probably for the rest of his life) and start him on a kidney diet, to help keep him from going further into kidney failure.

Are you giving him subQ fluids? (((hugs)))

@chakrapollo:

Hello, My very sweet 12yr old Basenji boy had a seizure this morning during our walk, just like Cairo. … He is so scared that it might happen again, so am I.

He probably isn't afraid of a seizure, but he might feel bad or he might be reading your anxiety. If he isn't better, can you schedule a time when you can go to the vet and stay with him? Not sure why they would need you to leave him for blood work.

• Debra~ yes i have been giving him 50ml subQ treatments every other day since his first results came in. The vet wants me to continue for the time being. I'm hoping with a change in diet (going to start with the prescription and then maybe switch over to home-cooked low protein chicken, fish, and eggs with veggies, oatmeal/brown rice) I can eventually not need to do the subQ treatments, if his levels go down enough.

• I so hope things improve. I even tried Lidocaine with Sayblee and she just hated the subQ fluids. You are a special basenji mom. Praying the levels all become normal soon and the results just temporary fluke, not actual kidney failure.

• @DebraDownSouth:

Are you giving him subQ fluids? (((hugs)))

He probably isn't afraid of a seizure, but he might feel bad or he might be reading your anxiety. If he isn't better, can you schedule a time when you can go to the vet and stay with him? Not sure why they would need you to leave him for blood work.

Apollo's blood work came back clean and clear. Doctor said this is a good thing.
    Although Apollo is 12 yrs old he is very healthy except for the seizure. He said if he had two seizures within a week to call him. Also said that four of his clients have been using the magnetic collars to prevent seizures. I had never heard of this before. He does not sell them, and suggested I go on line to buy if I was interested in trying. The results he said were good. These were dogs with repeated episodes. Also, acupuncture was an option. This vet is not a strictly holistic doctor, but he is giving me an option. Thank You so much for your thoughts.

• Magnet have limited research with epilepsy and much of it not supportive. There have been a few studies using MASSIVE magnetic treatment, but I am pretty sure spending your hard worn money to buy a magnetic collar is pretty much a waste. If money isn't an issue, it probably won't hurt.

http://www.vanderbilt.edu/AnS/psychology/health_psychology/biomagnetic_therapy.htm

The only real use of magnets in epilepsy is for those with a vegus nerve stimulation unit installed inside their chest. You can use magnets to activate or stop the stimulation.

Btw, I worked in college for the Neuropsychology and Brain Research Lab at the University of Tennesse with Joel Lubar on his biofeedback/epilepsy research back in the 1970s. It was incredible. He taught me to increase the heat in my hands to stop migraines. 🙂 I very much support non-medication wherever they work, I just hate people claiming things to sell a product.

• Thank You so much for the link to the website on magnetic therapy. Actually my vet doesn't sell the collars. He suggested one as an alternate remedy as opposed to putting Apollo on anti-seizure meds at this time. He couldn't explain, but some of his clients dogs have had good results. I bought one on Amazon for $15.00. No I don't have money to throw away, but since it wouldn't harm I decided to buy. I haven't read the article yet, but I will. Thank You so much for sharing and caring.

Christine

BTW I am new on the forum so probably will take me a bit to find my way around.

• It's a good group, lots of breeders here with good experiences and knowledge to share.

• Apollo has not had another seizure until this morning. I think I found the culprit. There is a certain motorcycle that goes by when we are out for our morning walk. It has no muffler and is quiet loud. Apollo went into a grand mal just as he did a month ago. Is there anything I can do to prevent this. Has anyone else come across anything like this. He had blood work after the first time, and everything came back normal.

Thank You
    Christine

• Christine, do you think you could work on desensitizing him to noise, like one does for noise phobias? I'll be happy to give you the links I have if you think it might help.

• Hi, Yes please send along the links. Apollo is going to be thirteen yrs in Dec. Do you think he is too far in years to train.
    Thank You so much for your reply.
    Christine

• Nope, any dog any age can be trained and desensitized.
    In fact it hit me, Kathy Diamond Davis has had dogs with seizures. You can email her, tell her I sent you, if you need help. Kathy is great with sensitive dogs.

KDiamondD@aol.com

Noise Phobia (web page makes half the script black unless you highlight), can use same method for all loud noises including the motor cycle. I'd actually go out and TAPE it, start playing really low.

http://companionanimalsolutions.com/blogs/tips-for-dog-owners-noise-phobia/

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=1+1551&aid=2545

http://dogbuilders.com/articles/2009/01/noise-phobias.html

Counterconditioning: Using counterconditioning, the animal is taught to display an acceptable behavior rather than an unacceptable one as a response to a certain stimulus. In this way, a negative stimulus can become associated with a positive event. For instance, the only time the pet gets his most favorite treat, game, or toy, is just prior to and during a thunderstorm. Dogs who enjoy traveling may be taken for a car ride, or cats who love catnip, may be given their favorite catnip mouse. (Dogs who enjoy swimming will need to wait inside until the storm is over!) After a time, the pet will start associating an oncoming storm with getting to have his favorite thing.

Desensitization: Using desensitization, the animal's response is decreased while he is exposed to increasing levels of the fear-producing stimulus. For noise phobias, the animal is taught to be calm when the noise level is low, and then the noise level is gradually increased. This process is generally more successful in dogs than cats. To desensitize a pet to thunderstorms:

1. Obtain a commercial tape or CD of a storm, or tape record one yourself (commercial products generally work better). Play the recording at normal volume to determine if it will induce the fear response. If it does, continue with the desensitization; if not, you will need to obtain a different recording. For some animals, a recording alone may not work, since there may be a combination of occurrences that provokes fear, e.g.; thunder plus lightning or changes in barometric pressure. For these animals, darkening the room and adding strobe lights may more closely mimic the storm, and may need to be included in the desensitization process.

2. Play the recording at a volume low enough that the pet is aware of the sound, but it does not induce a fear response. For instance, the ears may be ****ed towards the source of the sound, but you still have the pet's attention. In some instances, that may mean the pet needs to be in a different room from where the recording is playing. While the recording is playing at the low level, engage the pet in an activity in which you give the commands, such as obedience training or performing tricks. Give food or other rewards during the activity when the pet accomplishes what he is supposed to. If the animal shows signs of fear, stop and try again the next day, playing the recording at an even lower level. It is important that the pet not be rewarded while he is fearful or anxious. Sessions should last about 20 minutes.

3. If the animal does not respond fearfully, during the next session, increase the volume slightly. Again, involve the pet in an activity and reward it for obeying commands. Continue increasing the volume gradually for each session. If the pet starts to show fear, decrease the volume. Repeat the sessions in various rooms of the house and with various family members present.

4. When the pet does not show fear when the recording is played at a loud volume, you may want to try playing the recording for a short time while you are absent. Gradually increase the time you are gone while the recording is playing.

5. When the pet appears to have lost his fear, the sessions can be reduced to one per week. In most instances, these sessions will need to be repeated weekly for the life of the pet.

6. During an actual storm, use the same activities and rewards you used in the training sessions.

To increase the chances of successful desensitization, the training process should take place during a time of the year when the actual noise will not be encountered: if the pet is afraid of thunder or fireworks, try desensitization during the winter; if afraid of gunshots, the training should take place outside of the hunting season. In most instances, it is best to discontinue any behavior-modifying medications during the desensitization process. Consult with your veterinarian before discontinuing any medications.

Suggested Topics