• @bewler:

Thanks, Fran! Do you know if this harness prevents them from backing out of the harness and getting loose? My B-mix Jack seems to have a penchant for pulling backward and OUT of his harness lately. I am looking for something that will prevent him from getting out of his harness on our walks. He is very timid and when he gets freaked on a walk, he seems to be able to back out of his harness - I have tried 2 kinds and he has escaped from both. Luckily, as he has matured, he now longer feels compelled to run one fre, but it is disconcerting none-the-less!

Well, Kipawa is not much of a back direction mover. He is all about getting ahead of me and checking out things first. But IMO, I think if fitted correctly, it would be hard for a basenji to back out of this harness. When walking your basenji with the harness, I have found out that for success, we have to also work on heeling. Then as Kipawa gets it, he will be rewarded with a little more leash, but not too much.

• Well, yesterday I left Kipawa's harness on the coffee table. Bad idea! When I came out after my shower, it was on the floor and shredded up. I couldn't keep myself from laughing. 🙂 He looked at the leash and then looked at me, as if he was saying "I hated that thing and now it is dead!" I'll be off to our local pet store to pick up another one. You can't let your guard down with a young basenji!

• I have to agree with CanisBasenjius "Andrea" harness attached to the lead behind the shoulders are designed to give a dog more pulling power. It is how not only sled dogs but pulling competitions find the most pull power in their dogs. Also with young dogs that have undeveloped growth plates it can creat a bull dog front. When a dog pulls with a chest harness they are forced to pull elbows out to the side away from the body, in time the muscle will be trained to move the dog that way and growth plates can settle in accordingly as well as muscle developement. We used a harness to bike one of our young pups years ago and were told by a vet we created the structure in his front movement by the developement caused by the pulling. We thought it was great exercise but probably wasn't the best thing for a young dog, with an older dog already mature in structure I don't imagine this would be the case.
    Therese

• His half sister Lulu just recently redecorated her owners bedroom via the comforter. Her owner said, 5 years is too old for a comforter so Lulu was right to think it needed replacing. She signed it Lulu and her cohort incrimg (oops design assistant) Sonny and her mom who gets to shop for a new comforter and her dad who gets to pay for it.
    Thank goodness his litter sister Lyric has stuck to destroying toys.
    Therese

Suggested Topics