• suki choked on a flat square rawhide piece once. now i give her the the skinny rolled kind (about the diameter of a pencil). they don't last as long, but she won't choke, at least. i also give bully sticks, which she loves (but they're a little more pricey).

• Thank you for the suggestions!

• First Basenji's

Best Bully Sticks will actually mail you a free sample if you would like to try one out for Dexter:
    http://www.bestbullysticks.com/home/bbs/sample_main.html

You've obviously learned your lesson now, so have fun exploring the wide world of durable dog chews. 🙂 We don't give rawhide anymore EXCEPT in with C.E.T. dental strips that we sometimes give, though under close supervision. Not a huge fan of hooves around here either (they kind of stink! and yes, I've stepped on them before and OUCH!). But we like Himalayan Yak Chews, antlers, and various edible dental chews like Zuke's and Terrabones (though the latter don't last very long).

On Himalayan Yak Chews, it appears to chip off in shards, which alarms some people. We've never had a problem with it though. When it gets down to the last little stub, you do need to remove it. But if you microwave it for 40 seconds or so, it will puff up and become extremely porous, like a giant, hard Cheez-it. And then your dog can safely consume the last bit without serious fear of choking. 🙂

• we had sort of luke-warm responses to the Yak chews in this house. Sad, because I think it's a great product, but okay because they are a bit pricey.

• So many good chewing items in quality pet store. I think if you shop at one, you will find a whole herd of things for the b's to chew on.

• I tried beef tracheas and beef tendons recently. Dogs love them. Beef tendons seemed to last as long as a bully stick. Tracheas are such an odd shape that it takes them a little bit of time to work on those. I did try elk antlers but I think that is what may have broke one of my dogs teeth so I tossed those out. It's a shame, they looked like a good idea.

• we tired the elk antlers…only a so-so response...I think they are a little too hard for my guys to really get into...but maybe a younger pup would like the hardness. Bella chewed hers more than Hippo did.

• @Quercus:

we tired the elk antlers…only a so-so response...I think they are a little too hard for my guys to really get into...but maybe a younger pup would like the hardness. Bella chewed hers more than Hippo did.

That's why only the girls got them for Xmas. However, both Diggie (14) and Jet (13) have sort of shown a little interest in them. Diggie licked it a little and seemed to say "where were these 12 years ago??" Yes, I think they were too hard for the old men. Girls (4 yrs) nibble on them here and there.

• Megan, watching a dog choke to death is traumatic. Watching 4 adults trying to hold the dog down to get it out of its mouth, the kennel owner getting chewed up horribly in the process, the terrible death.. it certainly charged my response and horror that your dog choked once and yet you still gave it. Glad you won't again. When I could sit and WATCH my Rottie, I gave him a huge honking knotted on the ends rawhide someone gave him…once. Decided more effort on my part than worth it.

Antlers? Really? Wow wouldn't have thought but aren't they brittle like bones?

I have never tried bully sticks, lol. The thought disturbs me. But I know dogs love them. I feed raw a lot so my guys get plenty of chewing. I also have lots of chew toys, chew bones, etc. I may have to give in and buy the bully sticks.

• @DebraDownSouth:

Megan, watching a dog choke to death is traumatic. Watching 4 adults trying to hold the dog down to get it out of its mouth, the kennel owner getting chewed up horribly in the process, the terrible death.. it certainly charged my response and horror that your dog choked once and yet you still gave it. Glad you won't again. When I could sit and WATCH my Rottie, I gave him a huge honking knotted on the ends rawhide someone gave him…once. Decided more effort on my part than worth it.

Antlers? Really? Wow wouldn't have thought but aren't they brittle like bones?

I have never tried bully sticks, lol. The thought disturbs me. But I know dogs love them. I feed raw a lot so my guys get plenty of chewing. I also have lots of chew toys, chew bones, etc. I may have to give in and buy the bully sticks.

The antlers are hard…but not brittle...maybe a dog with huge jaws might able to break a piece off? I gave with supervision...but they are so NOT into them, that I didn't feel I needed to worry about any splintering.

• I give mine the sticks of compressed rawhide once in a while - there is no sheet quality to them, it's rawhide ground and compressed into a stick. No possibility of choking, they bite off little pieces. Also our grocery store sells raw cut marrow bones about 2" in diameter and an inch and a half thick, with marrow in. Messy, so they get them on the porch and just love getting the marrow out then getting that membrane covering off the bone - when it's down to clean bone, I generally toss it, and they only get them once in a while. Dentastix are a good chew, and helpful for clean teeth. Busy Bones, the small ones, seem to entertain them, although they don't digest them well, like we don't digest corn…... Mine have no interest in the bully sticks, never tried antlers though - that sounds interesting.

• @DebraDownSouth:

Since I have posted repeatedly on the dangers of rawhide, the many vets and hospitals declaring them unsafe and not worth the risk, not going to repeat it except to wonder why it took two chokings and you still don't get it?

And yeah, that response is snarky and I meant it to be. Having seen a dog choke to death, and know how horrific it is, I just don't get taking the risk.

I agree that they are dangerous. I have things Anubis can chew (large smokey pork bones and similar things). They are very thick and he cant get chunks off of them. He just enjoys the flavor and just the activity of chewing. Before I saw your posts about how dangerous they are Anubis choked on a chunk of one when he was 8mo and I havent given him a rawhide since. He only has the pork bones when Im around. My FAVORITE to give Anubis (and my lab puppy) is Busy Bones. http://www.purinabusy.com/ They are edible and they cannot chew pieces off to choke on. But its hard enough where they take awhile to finish. Anubis LOVES them!

• i've tried antlers as well. suki chews on them sometimes - doesn't like them nearly as much as a bully stick or a nylabone (or rawhide). they don't splinter or break off, though, and they don't smell, so they are worth having around for the once in a while that she likes them.

Suggested Topics