• I just got back from getting Athena micro-chipped.

They weighed her and she is 20lbs. I know the max for most B's is between 20-26lbs..Is 20lbs too much for her age? She will be 4 months on the 27th.

attachment_t_11259_0_img00554-20110423-1547.jpg
    attachment_t_11259_1_lay2.jpg

• She looks from the pictures to be a bit heavy, but then she is still a puppy and they will tend to carry baby fat. How much are you feeding her? You might want to cut back a bit…. as you would not want her much heavier then she is now. You should be able to easily feel her ribs.

• Wow. I knew Dexter was smaller than most others his age on this forum, but she is double his size…I guess he is smaller than I thought lol.

• @tanza:

She looks from the pictures to be a bit heavy, but then she is still a puppy and they will tend to carry baby fat. How much are you feeding her? You might want to cut back a bit…. as you would not want her much heavier then she is now. You should be able to easily feel her ribs.

I've been feeding her half a cup of food 3 times a day. When she told me she was already 20lbs, I thought I should cut back a bit.

• @Athena:

I've been feeding her half a cup of food 3 times a day. When she told me she was already 20lbs, I thought I should cut back a bit.

I would cut back to maybe two feedings a day at 1/2 cup, you can supplement with treats when working with her or I give mine a couple of small cookies midday. I would not worry too much at this age, by the time she is 6 to 7 months old she should lose the baby fat, but is not, then seriously consider more excerise and less food/treats.

• @tanza:

I would cut back to maybe two feedings a day at 1/2 cup, you can supplement with treats when working with her or I give mine a couple of small cookies midday. I would not worry too much at this age, by the time she is 6 to 7 months old she should lose the baby fat, but is not, then seriously consider more excerise and less food/treats.

ok thanks for the input

• If she still wants to eat you can add some green beans to her meal to add bulk but not much in calories. Ours love them frozen as snacks. And if you want to talk big, Kell at 16 months is 40.6 lbs. And he is getting the same amount of food as the 2 girls, one which is 17 1/2 lbs and the other 18 1/2 lbs. He has such a big frame, but we are going to work on it, I about went into shock Friday when I took him in for rabies and his microchip. He is full of vinegar and runs everywhere and wears both girls out playing.

• She's a BEAUTIFUL girl, but yes, she does look a bit heavy in that second picture- it could just be the angle, though? Newsom is 4 months old and only weights 15. My vet says he's tall for his age, though so maybe that thins them out?

At any rate she's BEAUTIFUL 🙂

• @deschroedter:

And if you want to talk big, Kell at 16 months is 40.6 lbs.

Holy cow!! You have a 40lb B?

• Yeah, 40 pounds is a lot of weight for a B - how tall/long is he? I've got a B mix, who is carrying lots of extra weight but we aren't sure what she's mixed with, so we have no idea if her fat is part of the other breed - she weighs 33, and does look like she's too heavy. Do you have a photo of Kell? Maybe he's just a super-B!

• He is approximately 4 1/2 inches higher at the shoulder than either of the girls. I had a big boy that I showed, Gambit, who is now at the bridge and we thought he was the biggest one ever, judges liked him though. But Kell puts him to shame. So some of his food is going to get cut back and green beans added. Have changed treats to dried chicken breast for all. But he really doesn't get much more kibble than either of the girls. I need more walking too, so that is also on the agenda. I can feel his ribs, he is not the most pleasing B in comformation, but his disposition should be available for transplant to a lot of Bs. A real love. Dawn

Suggested Topics