• Basenjis hate surprises. Our never liked being picked up or startled. Let a Sleeping Dog Lay is a valid rule with basenji's. I always tell them I'm going to pick them up first. They still grumple depending on the situation.

• Mine does it in two situations, neither of which are surprises. If he's tired and laying down in a comfy spot and I move like I'm about to pick him up, he'll growl at me. When this happens I usually just pick him up anyway and he gets over it. If he's actually sleeping and I wake him by picking him up, he doesn't care and just snuggles right up against me. The other times he's done it, it's been because he's nagging the other dog in our house (a 12-year old dachshund) to play with him and the dachshund is getting upset so I pick him up to intervene.

I really don't want this to progress to aggressive behavior. Anything else I can do?

• Under what conditions does he growl? Most Basenjis will resent being moved when they are comfortable, and may vocalize about it. Routine picking up should not evoke growling.

• thats exactly what I do.. just pick him anyway and he looks at me funny and gets over it.. I think if you pay to much attention to it yo makey it worse. He has to know you don't really care if he growls..

• The one thing you want to avoid is letting him think growling will get him what he wants (to be left alone). Ignoring it will usually work. However, it is unwise to provoke a reaction you might not be able to control. With my guy, I will be diplomatic if he is comfortable. I might sit beside him and complement him, stroke him, then pick him up. Usually that defuses his annoyance. If I do start to pick him up and he growls, I just go ahead with what I am doing. The snarking is usually only momentary. But be smart and keep your face away from his, just in case!

Suggested Topics