• @Therese:

Actually I was told several years ago by Parry Tallmadge that he caught his dog early by testing for a full week each month. He was testing monthly but was concerned because of other dogs having become ill. He tested several days in a row and did get differing results from day to day.
    Debra is right the key is catching it early and it would seem to me in this particular case strip testing a couple days in a row each month might not hurt.
    Just a thought.
    Therese

Exactly, in fact at one point his boy didn't spill for over 9 months… however then he started to spill again and he did get different results from day to day, hence why I say you should test 3 or 4 days in a row.

• @etzbseder:

When you test, it should be several days in a row, so when you have a case like mine. Carrier from a clear and a child of two clears, I don?t think testing every month is necessary, every 3 months should be sufficient. If you know about the disease you know what to look for more than just a color change on a strip of paper.

Sorry… but this statement is rather ludicrous.
    If one were to wait until they SAW symptoms, the dog is already in renal failure.
    A dog will strip test positive (spilling sugar) well before any clinical symptoms (excessing drinking and urination) will ever occur.

Waiting until one sees symptoms is just asking for a ticket to death's door for the dog. I have seen fanconi more than enough to have a base for my statements.

• Kathy, What would you say was the first thing you noticed on your fanconi b?

• Everyone can rest assured that Presley is strip tested adequately!!! LOL Lets just say I don't have to worry about my strips expiring. Really it isn't a laughing matter at all. If you knew me at all or have seen Presley and I together you would know how much my striped brat means to me. He and I are tight. I lost it when his results came back and literally had to be drugged so I could sleep. It took me a while to come to grips and realize Presley's just as each and every result received has a Big Probable in front of it….. Presley is not on death row. He may never spill a drop of sugar. His test could be an error, or He may be among the sector that never developes the disease. Heaven for bid he does spill sugar I will catch it early and give him the best shot at a normal life. Presley is almost 7 and I have NEVER seen him turn down a meal. I look at it this way if my test is an error the worse thing besides the stigma and the heart break that came with the result is..... I bought several bottles of strips and I have stood outside in a wide variety of weather in a wide variety of attire in many different places with my dog on a lead and me leaning down and running a strip through his urine flow. There are others out there who celebrated the receiving of results by throwing away their test strips and bragging about NO more fanconi in their lines. The result of their failing to test the test by continuing to strip test at the very least once a month has far graver consequences, for not just themselves and their dog, but just maybe you if you happen to be someone who buys a puppy from them!

• Eva, I hope you never have to do more than strip test your boy. Hugs and hugs to you and Presley.

• I understand everyone does things differently, but I have to ask:

Eva, the way you make it sound, we don’t need the Fanconi test if it makes no difference how many times ‘clear’ shows up in a pedigree, you should test every dog at least once a month because every dog will have the same chances of getting Fanconi. Is that right?

• @etzbseder:

I understand everyone does things differently, but I have to ask:

Eva, the way you make it sound, we don?t need the Fanconi test if it makes no difference how many times ?clear? shows up in a pedigree, you should test every dog at least once a month because every dog will have the same chances of getting Fanconi. Is that right?

What I am saying is the current test we have is a linked marker test. It is a very valuable first step and is the result of many hours of research. It is not a direct test as the gene that actually carries fanconi has yet to be identified. Responsible and Reputable breeders and owners will do their part by first having their dogs tested. Then since fanconi is a late onset disease should continue to strip test their dogs regardless of the results they receive for several years and report any inconsistent results so those dogs DNA can be further studied and hopefully bring the researchers closer to problem gene. Sir we are only 3 years into this portion of the battle. There are many dogs who are way younger than the typical age of onset and errors are being reported. There are carriers that have developed fanconi, there are puppies being tested affected from clear parents. There are old dogs that tested affected that have never displayed the disease.

• @eva:

What I am saying is the current test we have is a linked marker test. It is a very valuable first step and is the result of many hours of research. It is not a direct test as the gene that actually carries fanconi has yet to be identified. Responsible and Reputable breeders and owners will do their part by first having their dogs tested. Then since fanconi is a late onset disease should continue to strip test their dogs regardless of the results they receive for several years and report any inconsistent results so those dogs DNA can be further studied and hopefully bring the researchers closer to problem gene. Sir we are only 3 years into this portion of the battle. There are many dogs who are way younger than the typical age of onset and errors are being reported. There are carriers that have developed fanconi, there are puppies being tested affected from clear parents. There are old dogs that tested affected that have never displayed the disease.

What puppies from Clear Parents are testing affected? Not in data that I have seen? And puppies that are testing affected, have the sire and dam's been retested? And is there any questions about their parentage? The two that I know (puppies testing affected), one was from an admitted sample mix up taken at the 2007 BCOA National when blood was still being used and there were a number of dogs that had to be retested from that time. The other that I know of, turns out there was a question on if the sire/dam were really the parents of that puppy.

While I do not disagree with your about strip testing and that this is a linkage test and as you point out has only been available for coming close to 4yrs so the data is still being collected.

• what do i use to test my basenji? also any information would be helpful…i have read alot, but would rely on people that know about basenjis.....my basenji's mother was fanconi positive and now the vet says she wants to do all these expensive test.....and my girl is only two years old and has no health issues at all since her spay in march.......any info would me appreciated. 🙂

• What do you mean fanconi positive? She was tested and the results were probable affected or probable carrier, or she is spilling urine?

You need to strip test your dog and your mother's (if she hasn't already developed Fanconi) every month, preferably a couple of days in a row, with urine test strips.

You need to order from OFA the fanconi cheek swab kit ($65 each) and submit.
    http://www.offa.org/dnatesting/fanconi.html

You need to read ALL these links:
    http://www.basenjicompanions.org/health/fanconi/index.html

Please clarify the info on your mom's dog so we can help. If YOUR dog from your mom's? Has she spayed her dog and notified everyone who has a puppy from this bitch (if she bred her) that Fanconi is a problem? Please have her share all the above with them if she did breed her.

• No, i mean my dog's mother is fanconi positive, she isnt spilling urine….the mother is 8 years old......all i know is the breeder(which has stopped breeding) called me and told me that my basenji's mother is fanconi positive. so basically, what i need to know is what does that mean for my girl. she shows no signs, is there anything i need to be doing? i will read the links.....thank you for the info. 🙂

• Yes, you need to clarify some of the info you gave…but even without that info, as Debra said, you should be strip testing your pup. There's no need to have your vet do any tests on her at this time BUT, you should be sending in the swab to find out what the linked marker test says. Regardless of what it does say, you should still strip test, but at least you'll have a better idea.

I started strip testing Apache right after he came back as Probably Affected, which was a month before his 2nd birthday. I strip tested him once a week at first and then when he hit 3 I did it weekly but did it a few days in a row at different times. When I did catch him spilling, just last month, he was spilling in the morning and early afternoon but not later in the afternoon or in the evening. At first I thought I was seeing things or that I somehow contaminated the strip. I had my husband come out and watch the second time..it changed again. Then I went and peed on one and it didn't change, so I knew then it wasn't that the strips were bad and I got him into the vet for all his tests.
    They will spill sporadically at first which is why it's best to test a few days in a row and at different times of the day.

I have to admit to becoming a little lax with testing Cheyenne, who is a probable carrier, but since hearing of those that came back as carriers and are now affected, I've started testing her weekly now too.

• thank you so much i am on it!!! 🙂 i am gonna do everything i can to keep my girl taken care of….i really appreciate the info. 🙂

• It is not spilling urine but spilling glucose in the urine. How was the mother diagnosed as being Fanconi Positive? Was it from the DNA test sent to the Univ. of MO or a urine glucose strip? Has the father been tested?

Jennifer

• I think she meant the dam of her girl was Fanconi positive, not her mother's dog. But yes, it would help to know what she meant when she said positive.

Terry

• Oops, when I hit post, the other responses came up, and I see angelinahotty already clariified.

Terry

• Okay sorry, I misread "basenji's mother" for mother's basenji.

Do you have your dog's registration number? If so, you can look up to see if the sire has been tested. If the dog is probable clear, your chances are good that your dog may never develop Fanconi. If the dog is a probable carrier or probable affected, then the chances are much worse.

The mother has only 2 genes to pass, both Fanconi.
    If the sire is a probable carrier, then your chances for your dog to be affected are 50 percent and 50 percent chance probable carrier.
    If the sire is affected, then your dog will be a probable affected. That does not mean 100 percent develop the disease.

Although the protocol calls for MONTHLY, not weekly testing, I can understand Lynn testing weekly with a probable affected. But at the very least, do monthly a couple of days in a row.

• the breeder said her mother(the dogs mother) is dna positive..and also her grandmother….the father(the dogs father) is deceased ....i meant spilling glucose. please bear with me because i am new to this and learning what i need to be doing. i had no idea when i bought her that i needed to ask about these things...which makes no difference to me now considering i love her to death.....now i just have to take care of her.....like i said there have been no signs....she is perfectly healthy,utd on everything , i just want to keep her that way.thank you again for the info.

• i will look her numbers up…thank you for the info 🙂

• the breeder was a friend of my family and only had like 4 litters, he wasnt very experienced, but the dogs were registered. i really dont think he knows very much either,….but i am going to go digging into her registration info and family tree and see what i can find. like i said, she shows no signs, but you know what they say about prevention..... 😉 thank you all 🙂

Suggested Topics