• Does anyone reading these strands think that this might be a dominant behavior? Like Champ is trying to win dominance over the daughter? Our B did this with my son (who is 7) for a while until we practiced some things that teaches the dog is not the dominant one over ANY human in our house. It almost sounds like the same scenario.

• Along with no-bite methods, of course. Which we just held her snout firmly and told her no bite and stopped play which worked for us.

• yes I believe it's also a dominance behavior with him (I don't like that word it seems ike he's being aggresive) but anyway I also held held snout when he did this (also hard to do-that B is quick)and he tested me again and I did it again except this time he let out a yelp but I don't think I hurt it at least I hope I didn't. Two yelps and he stopped the nipping. But see we are not playing with him so we ignore but he keeps it up. Is my B the only one with sharp teeth, cause these nips hurt and because they hurt it's nearly impossible to ignore.

• Well, if the water bottle doesn't work anymore, how about coins taped inside a tin can that you throw down on the floor. It is supposed to startle them and change thinking direction. Otherwise, somewhere in this forum was a suggestion to use those caps that you buy at carnivals, especially if you don't want to keep getting up. You just throw them on the floor and they make a loud pop sound. Sorry luzmery928, I'm all out of ideas. Please don't try an idea and give up too quickly - choose one that seems workable from the start and stick with it for atleast week. Also, get bossy 😉 and make everyone in the house follow your rule on it. Good luck!

• thanks. Well I'm now moving on to the bitter apple and that can idea sounds good. I will update.

• I want to make sure you understand you don't spray the bitter apple at the dog…you put it on whatever the dog is trying to chew on 🙂

And just to be perfectly clear...ignoring the behavior means silently GET UP, leave the puppy. If you just stay where you are, yes, he will continue to bite.

And, no you aren't the only one whose puppy teeth hurt like heck. My husband just got bit on the nose because he decided to cuddle an excited puppy next to his face??? why...I don't know!

• Well thanks for telling me that cause I thought the bitter apple was used like the water spray. (Noone worry I would have read the instructions before use). Well them I guess I better buy the family size so we can bathe in the stuff. I do think the gate will work well with the nipping so we can get up and seclude him from us, like a time out.

• @spitfirekrl1:

Along with no-bite methods, of course. Which we just held her snout firmly and told her no bite and stopped play which worked for us.

A lot of people recommend this…but in the case of my worst play biter, it just made him more wound up. But for some dogs, that is all the correction they need. I have found that with most people if they are complaining about play biting, they have one of these over the top, play biting maniacs like my first Basenji was.

• @Quercus:

I have found that with most people if they are complaining about play biting, they have one of these over the top, play biting maniacs like my first Basenji was.

You are describing Duke! :eek: He just kept getting more, and more wound up when I tried to closing his muzzle - it made his/my problem worse. All the screaming "NO BITE!!" and muzzle holding for nothing - It just made me mad!! :mad: At my wits end, the passive aggressive approach worked best. 🙂 Glad he finally has some respect for us now - :rolleyes:

• Yeah and it can be tricky since if I don't grab it right I end up jabbing my finger tips straight into his pointy teeth..ouch for me. But I don't want to hurt him either and last night he did yelp twice so I'm not sure if it hurt him. As soon as he yelped, I let go and he opened his mouth and took out his tongue. I looked to make sure he didn't bite it.

• My husband just got bit on the nose because he decided to cuddle an excited puppy next to his face??? why…I don't know!

LOL LOL…I bet he learned his lesson 😃

• @jys1011:

LOL LOL…I bet he learned his lesson 😃

No, I bet he didn't 😉 He is my MOST resistant student!

• @Quercus:

No, I bet he didn't 😉 He is my MOST resistant student!

😃 Too funny Andrea! I also have one of those students and I "understand" the resistant type - LOL! Parachute collapse. 😃

• @Duke:

😃 Too funny Andrea! I also have one of those students and I "understand" the resistant type - LOL! Parachute collapse. 😃

Ha, ha! 😃

• Double ditto…I put up the dog rules on a bulletin board but ALAS he just doesn't GET IT :mad:

ie-use the same command dear...use a watch exercise when you see a dog coming your way...do a uturn if the dog is too close to do a watch exercise. Praise for going potty...NADA 😃

Does anyone know of HUSBAND TRAINING classes at Pet Smart 😃 😃

• I think it is a man thing, I don't need to listen to you, I'll do what I want with our dog. I am trying to stop Sahara from play biteing when she wants our attention. She will try to bite your hand, or feet when you are trying to go to work. She knows when we are going, she is so smart. So, I get up when she does the bad behavior, say no bite, and ignore. Well, she is getting the picture, she hardly bites me anymore, but she still does my hubby. I tell him what to do and he just yells, "Stop Biteing", that drives me crazy. He just refuses to do what I tell him, he uses the wrong commands, not words she knows. I need to sign him up!!!!

• Just looking over my threads and decided to post this one as a SUCCESS since my dog nolonger poops when left out of another room and he is potty trained. Now that I look back at that period, not too long agao and remember how nuts he had me over that pooping issue, now I laugh cause it's done and we were able to move beyond it. Next step, still working on the nipping….One day at a time.

• You go, Girl! 🙂

• Whoo hooo! Progress….slow, but sure 🙂

Suggested Topics