• @agilebasenji:

Pat, did you not have him collected? For several visits after my boyz were oh so hopeful whenever we pulled into that parking lot. :p

LOL… nope never collected!!!! I never told him, even though he finished his championship, but he was not breeding material!!!

• Thanks everyone…. I have been searching around to find someone I am more comfortable with. I am hopeful that at least for now, he is done with injections as he has had his rabies, distemper and lyme. My concern now is that he turned 5 months yesterday and I forgot to ask the vet when I can start frontline. Often times in New England its a big problem. Over my friends house it is common that when the dogs come in the house there is a tick on them.... and because Oakley is black I panic and preen him all the time when he is over there (not like he doesn't love the attention):rolleyes:

• Houston

Chelsie, you could start him on it at 8 weeks…so he should be ok.

• I don't use topical and we have a ton of ticks here in Maine (although none yet - we are due to get another foot of snow tonight :rolleyes::mad:).

I talked with my vet about it 2 years ago (when I added my brindle girl to the pack) and she said they have quite a few dogs in their practice that have still contracted lyme even though they are on frontline. She said a visual check should still be done with frontline. She knows I hate to vaccinate/medicate unless absolutely necessary so her advice to me was to skip it.

I just do a complete check on each dog before I bring them in the house. I do use organic bug wipes for all the kids for mosquitoes, black flies and deer flies and the container says they work on ticks too - but I've never found that to be the case as I've always found ticks alive and well on my dogs. In the summer, I don't think a day goes by that I don't take at least one deer tick off my dogs.

Oh and regarding a vet - maybe ask your breeder who else they might recommend for a vet (I'm sure they've used multiples) - since they live near you?

I've been super lucky with my vet. I got the recommendation from one of the breeders on here and my vet is super - tons of basenji experience and great at listening to me and not pushing vaccines or anything on my kids. I did take Liyah to one of the other vets in the practice once when she was a baby and that was a bad experience so since then it is marked in my kids charts that they only see my regular vet.

• Oh man, I must live in the best place ever! I live in a little town but within a 15 minute car drive, I have a great vet, a great holistic vet and a great hydrotherapy facility. (which is really nice b/c I've visited all of them this week) As an extra bonus, I have awesome views of Pikes Peak out my front door.

• Yes… Frontline is not a problem, IMO... go ahead and use it....

Suggested Topics