• Hello,

We have 2 basenjis, one female, 11 and the other male, 3yrs. They are typical basenjis, playful, affectionate and sometimes the younger is a real trouble maker, all of which we have learned to live with and accepted. A few weeks ago after leaving for the evening we noticed that one of them had a accident on their blanket on the floor, we thought it happened because we were later than usual.
    But now it happens everytime they are left alone for any amount of time.. I don't know what to do about this new problem or which one is doing it.
    The get plently of exercise, walked 4 times a day, they have a back yard to play in, they get lots of attention. I do not make a big deal out of leaving or coming back in..
    Am getting tired of washing blankets and carpets on a daily basis…
    Any suggestions on how to deal with this would be greatly appreciated.

• Off to the vet to check for a UTI. (I just went through this with my 14 year old.) If everything is okay, you may want to try a DAP plug in just in case there is some anxiety going on.

• Short term crating?

• It does sound like your b is anxious in the crate. Sharron mentioned short term crating. Build up the amount of time in the crate to show them you will always be returning to them, and that they don't have to worry. Lots of praise when you return to a dry crate. And make sure they have peed prior to going into the crate.

• Thanks for all the quick replies.
    Our dogs have never been crated so I am not sure if this would add to any problems they are already having. Like I said it just started happening, we have never had a problem with them being alone before. Can they suddenly become anxious about being alone??

• First thing to check, especially with an old dog is health issues like at UTI

• @j.parthnenais:

Thanks for all the quick replies.
    Our dogs have never been crated so I am not sure if this would add to any problems they are already having. Like I said it just started happening, we have never had a problem with them being alone before. Can they suddenly become anxious about being alone??

Are they both spayed/neutered?

And yes, I believe that as dogs age they can develop anxieties as they age especially if they are begining to loose some hearing or sight. Digital the brindlewonerkid, for example is starting to go deaf, but he does hear some sounds. For some reason, now at 14 years old, the sound of me opening a coke can spooks him. No idea why and he has always been a very steady well-rounded dog that has been exposed to everything (has been a conformation, agility, rally, coursing, therapy dog with titles in all of those) and never spooked at anything. Just something about that sound now. No idea why, so I try very hard not to open beverage cans around him. Beer in a bottle or wine is fine 😃

Also perhaps something outside is causing them to change their behaviors. Or something that happened outside yesterday has caused a change in today's behaviors. BUT you cannot address the behavior problems without first checking for a physical problem. This is very important to understand. If, by chance, your 11 year old has a bladder infection and you try to correct the problem, the behavior is going to become more ingrained (because he can't help it) and by the time you realize it is a physical problem, the physical problem may have become worse and the behavior has been practiced more often. And the more it is practiced, the harder it is to change. (easier to not begin smoking than it is to quit later on)

If you want to teach crating to a dog, i highly recommend Susan Garrett's dvd Crate Games.

• Personaly as this is a new occurrence I would have them both to the vet to have a check up. It doesn't sound to me like an anxiety problem as they are obviously used to being left.

Make sure no smell of urine is left - I know that there are commercial products to deal with this but good old fashioned white vinegar neutralises any urine smells. I keep a spray bottle of vinegar handy just in case as I have a very old bitch who can't always wait.

• Good news I think. I had to go out today and left them, when I returned there was not an accident anywhere in the house. Keep by fingers crossed this week, but I think I will still play it safe and take them for a vet visit.
    I thank all for the advise..

Suggested Topics