Debra, I just *have* to ask

• @Lenora:

And I suggest Debra that you do the same. To reply to a simple sentence with such condescenscion and by inserting into that reply things that I clearly did not and would never say is overkill. It is never okay to get a laugh by insulting others. You didn't like being insulted by someone in Georgia but yet you insult others by calling that expressing an opinion.

Okay, first, I did NOT consider what she said insulting! In fact when someone suggested it, I said "No offense was meant, so none taken." Not sure how you missed that! NOR did I insult OTHERS, it's about states. Please quit personalizing nonpersonal comments and don't accuse me of something I didn't do. Thanks.

• Andrea, please scroll up. I said: No offense was meant, so none taken.
    I am sure she never had. My comment was simply that we had chosen the wrong place to live when someone had never met someone Jewish before…ie. isolation, lack of other Jews for my daughter.

Add to it ignorant racism with such things as being called "jesus killers", saying Jews have tails, and other crappola, there is much to hate about this area. The way all minorities are treated here, bullying in school, times I have had to have the JDL intervene over overt discrimination at the school... But I didn't bring that up because this was MEANT to be pretty light hearted. I regret it got at all serious.

• @DebraDownSouth:

Andrea, please scroll up. I said: No offense was meant, so none taken.
    I am sure she never had. My comment was simply that we had chosen the wrong place to live when someone had never met someone Jewish before…ie. isolation, lack of other Jews for my daughter.

Add to it ignorant racism with such things as being called "jesus killers", saying Jews have tails, and other crappola, there is much to hate about this area. The way all minorities are treated here, bullying in school, times I have had to have the JDL intervene over overt discrimination at the school... But I didn't bring that up because this was MEANT to be pretty light hearted. I regret it got at all serious.

Oh, no..I am aware that you knew the woman meant no offense. And I totally get that you weren't offended. I am just saying that even though that comment made it feel like it was the wrong place to live, your presence there changed that woman's experience of never having met a Jew…and hopefully it was a good experience for her...so therefore, YOUR presence made a difference even if it was somewhere that you didn't/don't wish to be.

I am pretty sure that we agree that people are usually ignorant because of inexperience or lack of knowledge...the only way to change that is to have opportunities to have new experiences.

• Yeah, she was a nice person, lol. And she really did ask a lot of questions over the couple of years before she moved to FL. 🙂

• Debra - come and live in the UK and especially in Shropshire which is arguably the most beautiful county in England with lots and lots of trees and open spaces.

We have hardly any vicious biting insects but at times do have too much mud!!!

• Georgia and Jews: Please, no offense, anyone: My current MD (Dr. Cohen) is a friend and grew up in Tifton, about 80 miles from the small Georgia town I am from. He laughs and says that every Georgia town has at least one Jewish family to run the dry goods store! He had a Jewish father and Southern Baptist mother, so gets to celebrate ALL the holidays. They did indeed have a clothing store, and looking back I realized that both the stores in our little town, Davidson's and Silver's were owned by Jewish families, and I liked to go to Cordele to shop at Cohen's, so haha, I guess it is to some degree true!

When I was a freshman at the U of Ga., my roommate was from a very small town in South Georgia. One of our dorm-mates who I palled around with (she introduced me to pastrami on rye) was Jewish, and one day my roommate asked her, quite incredulous, "You really don't believe in Jesus???"
    She too had never met a Jewish person and probably not met many who were not Protestants. Hopefully we all learn tolerance when we realize that the "Jew" or the "Catholic" is really just Susan or Mary, who can learn a lot from each other!

• LOL Anne, in my home town, the ONLY Jewish family owned Brooks clothing store. That was over 50 yrs ago. A couple of more families moved in when I was in high school, not in the clothing business.\

And yeah, Leora often has to explain, NO we really do NOT celebrate Christmas or Easter.

Suggested Topics