New greyhound style collar working great!

• Yesterday in the a.m. I purchased a greyhound style martingale collar. It is 2 inches wide around the throat area and then tapers towards the back. Last night when we did our hour walk, I could tell the difference immediately. Very few corrections were needed while Kipawa was free leash walking (6 foot leash). I could also tell he liked the collar. Yahoo! 🙂

• Mine all wear martingales for walking and everyday, I only use the buckle type when racing or in rally.

• Fran, where did you get your collar? I'd like to get one for Blaze, but think I'll wait until he's a bit older to eliminate the need to buy two as he grows.

• That is the only type of collar we use for my 3 b's. They are worth the price.

• My 8 year old female has to wear a Martingale as she loves to back out of collars and run freeeee!!!! They really are great!

• @LindaH:

Fran, where did you get your collar? I'd like to get one for Blaze, but think I'll wait until he's a bit older to eliminate the need to buy two as he grows.

Linda, I am up in British Columbia, Canada and got the collar at a pet store chain called Bosley's. There were not a ton of colour selections, but the black and green was great for Kipawa. The collar was $15.99.

I'll get a photo of him in his new collar soon, and will post it.

• Houston

Awesome..I love those collars too..Pippin doesn't have one yet..but I am looking at a few so we are getting closer ;). Otis had one that I had made by Debbie Bartos..it had flames on it..with fleece liner so cool..would be cool for Blaze..:);)

• I?d get the collar from http://www.allhoundsapparel.com/. They have a lifetime guarantee on their collars, even if they?re eaten.

• Houston

Michael, thanks for that link..I had forgotten about them..

LindaH, they have some great flame ones..;)

• Thanks for the link, Michael.

Petra, that would be cool to have one with flames on it!

Fran, PetsMart just had the chain martingale's…not really what I wanted. I'll take a look in some other pet stores when we return to Spokane in May, or order online.

• @LindaH:

Fran, PetsMart just had the chain martingale's…not really what I wanted. I'll take a look in some other pet stores when we return to Spokane in May, or order online.

We started out with a 3/4 inch chain martingale on Kipawa. Well, as my boy got stronger, that really didn't work. I had been hunting online for one, as I really thought I was not going to find one near me. What about asking Petsmart to look in their catalogues and order you one? I know they are a big chain, and possibly order for many stores at once, but it's kind of sad that someone with a basenji, greyhound, saluki, etc. has to work so hard to find a suitable collar.

How big is your basenji? There was only one pattern (black with a green pattern in the middle). I bought a size M, but they had a size small there that I could help you out with. Kipawa is 20 pounds and the M fits him well, and will allow room for growth. The sizes L and XL would be too big for a basenji. Let me know.

• @Kipawa:

How big is your basenji? There was only one pattern (black with a green pattern in the middle). I bought a size M, but they had a size small there that I could help you out with. Kipawa is 20 pounds and the M fits him well, and will allow room for growth. The sizes L and XL would be too big for a basenji. Let me know.

Thanks for your offer, Fran. Blaze is still a puppy (just 11 weeks old today), so he has a lot of growth to do yet. That's why I thought I'd wait until he was bigger to invest in a nice martingale collar, although I might buy the cheap one at PetsMart or PetCo as an interim one when we take him to puppy kindergarten.

There are several nice pet stores in Spokane (NOT the kind that sell pets…I'd never buy anything at those types of stores unless it was a dire emergency and there was no place else around), so I may be able to find a nice martingale collar at one of them. Finding one locally would also have the added benefit of being able to try it on before purchase. 🙂

• A WONDERFUL, and I mean awesomely fantastic, website for getting martingale collars is http://longdogleather.com/. They are great collars. Personally I ordered from their ready-to-wear section here since I couldn't handle all the choices for building a custom one. I love these collars because our basenji figured out how to back out of his collar while on a leash and thought it was a great game. I plan to buy all my future martingales from Maureen and the Long Dog Leather crew.

• Thanks for the link Michael…my Bs not big enough for a new martingale collar yet but good to know a nice place online. The usual places around town (the petcos and such) where I live don't seem to carry many martingales. I don't buy much from those stores anyway!

• What about using the leather collars on a dog that still pulls a lot on walks? Does the leather give enough so as not to cause problems with the throat?

• My b doesn't (usually) pull so I can't say for sure, but even at its tightest, the collar won't cut off air entirely. The tightness of the collar is limited; if you order one of the custom ones from Long Dog, you get to specify the smallest circumference of the collar. I would imagine a wide leather collar to be preferable to a thin nylon one for a puller, just because it won't chafe or cut into his neck as much.

Suggested Topics