• Yes, I do think it was BCOSW and while many clubs work with BRAT, I think in this case it was pretty much all BCOSW… I remember when they would post updates on the pups on their sight.... and if I remember right there were weekly updates on the whelping and the pups growing up....

• I love Daisy's coloring, she is the prettiest tri I have ever seen, she has a gorgeous face, and Duke, well he is handsome as well. I can't believe how this pup has grown, I bet she is going to be a big girl. My Sahara is the same age as Duke and weighs just 22.3 pds, and 16 inches. I think you have a good size girl on your hands Mom, and yes we are ALL proud Basenji Mommies.

• Thank you Y&T. I think she will certainly be bigger than Duke. Daisy has a brother like her with speckles and is already 23 lbs. I love those speckles. She is so soft and snuggly. She gets real limp when we snuggle. So unlike Duke all together.

• She is a beauty! Such a pretty face and sooo very basenji looking, sure took after her mom!

• Daisy is absolutely adorable!

• Thanks again for your thoughts about my little girl. She is so different than Duke. What Duke lacks in Basenji-isms, Daisy has. And what Daisy lacks, Duke has.

Curious to all of the breeders - Can you tell me if you think Daisy's physical is more Basenji than not? I guess what I mean is she is obviously a tri-color and we know her mom, Abby is strictly a red/white. Do you think her tri-color is possible as a result of tri-color from basenji genes? What do you make of her muzzle. Do you think the shape is Basenji? I think for sure that Duke's muzzle is longer than the normal Basenji. Reason I ask, is the parents of all Abby's pups are speculating the other half. There is one pup (Lucy) who looks, IMO total Basenji like her mom, a R/W. One speculation for the 2 pups with ticking (Daisy & Cooper) is they might be a heeler, either red or blue. Any thoughts?

• I absolutely think she physically most resembles a Basenji. Her face, at least in her puppy pics, looks VERY basenji. I agree that a heeler could be the other parent, because of the ticking…that is fairly specific to those dogs, and they have a VERY similar shape to Basenjis. It is wierd about the tri, because it is a simple recessive, so the father dog had to be a breed that carries tri at the same loci (I guess?)...but in Basenji both parents have to carry tri to have tri offspring.

Do the other pups have any other remarkable characteristics that point towards a certain breed?

• @Quercus:

It is wierd about the tri, because it is a simple recessive, so the father dog had to be a breed that carries tri at the same loci (I guess?)…but in Basenji both parents have to carry tri to have tri offspring.

Do the other pups have any other remarkable characteristics that point towards a certain breed?

Thanks for responding Andrea. I don't know what "loci" means. However, I did research that some heelers are tri-color. It is interesting to know that both parents have to carry tri to have tri offspring. Maybe with that info, we could be one step closer to the mystery. I was adapting to her being Brittany Spaniel b/c that is a breed I'm familiar with, but I'm not familar with any of them being tri-color. I'll have to look that up.

I have recent pics of all of Daisy's sibs. I will ask the BCOSW if it will be OK to post. They are working on a new update for Abby's pups. (Wouldn't want to ruin the fun for them.) KWIM?

• Okay, I wanted to make sure I was using the term correctly, and that I could explain it to someone else, so I googled it 😉 Below is the definition of "loci" is the plural of "locus"…so I think I should have used "locus"...but anyway, here is what I found:

The position of a gene or chromosome segment on a chromosome. Alleles are located at identical loci on homologous chromosomes

And personally, I don't see any Brittany in her…but maybe I would in person 😉

• Ohhh-Kay? It is a biological term and too specific for me to make sense of - is it DNA makeup? So, you suppose I can forget about any kind of Spaniel . . . Just wanted to mention that 2 pups are very black, one of them has a slight droop at the tips. The other one's ears are straight up - so they may have been fathered by a Black Lab. The area Abby came was from Menomonee MI (Upper Peninsula bordering Wisconsin) where labs are prevelant. and likely other hunting dogs. So that may be a hint. Cooper - 23 lbs already (R/W with ticking) has shown a herding trait. Daisy has not.

• For some reason, I still think I remember someone from the club saying that they thought it was a beagle… that sired that litter.....

• Beagle is possible with a tri-color gene. I suppose you'd have to see all the pups - they are all pretty big though. My sister-in-law had a beagle and some friends had one. Both were rather short and stout with an unbelievable ability to climb over fences, is what I remember most about the them.

• Just as an added note. Our beagle has the ticking that your daisy has. So maybe it is beagle.

• Of course it is very possible that it was a Lab/Beagle cross…. that sired the pups

• Yeah - I've googled Beagles. Apparently there are a few types and sizes in that breed. I'm beginning to feel sure Daisy is probably beagle too. Funny though, (no offense to you who have them) it is breed I am not fond of and neither is a Jack Russell. Ahh well, I probably have both now in Duke and Daisy but I love them both for their differences.

It is so hard to speculate these things, but it is kind of interesting.

• @tanza:

Of course it is very possible that it was a Lab/Beagle cross…. that sired the pups

Wow! That would make a cute dog! Abby must have been smitten with him. 😃 😃

Suggested Topics