Pippin and the stolen butter knife…

• @agilebasenji:

I totally gave up on collars after my less than 12 month old b puppy Zest got her mouth caught on the first malinois' collar twice in about 2-3 months.

Exactly my experience too!!! And my Mickii could get a collar in her mouth in 10 seconds, 20 seconds if it was her own collar. I really had no choice once Mickii came home, she would eat off anyone collar… including but not limited to the yarn around puppy necks.... 🆒

• My basenjis always try to chew each others collars and hold onto the other dogs on the few occasions they are on (usually right before or after an outing before I get them off). But knowing not one but TWO people who lost dogs who got their jaws stuck in another dog's collar (one dog broke its jaw and died, the other strangled the dog it was stuck too), I haven't left dogs in collars in probably 18 yrs. My dogs are chipped, usually also tattooed, so I save collars for outings only.

Okay so I thought of this thread yesterday. Sigh. Arwen is a toy gutter. For 8 yrs no dog here could have stuffies out because she grabs and guts. Sayblee had some in her crate. But Cara loves them and I spend half my life picking up guts, stuffing them back in, sewing up it seems. Yesterday I bought 4 new toys. WHILE I WAS IN THE KITCHEN MAKING TEA Arwen gutted 2 of them, and one squeaker missing. I was furious, actually yelled at her. Then I thought of this thread and thought… she's a basenji. I have to say I hate that behavior though.

• I have a toy gutter, too. And a collar eater.
    Arrow is my gutter, so stuffed toys aren't around here much. Plus, they usually don't get to even keep their own in their runs - all it takes is for someone to let it get too close to the edge, and toys, cuddlers, whatever, gets stolen by the dogs next door - who then eventually lose it to the ones next to them, and on and on. Arrow thinks it works out well as she's in the last run!
    Myra ate 3 collars, so Bruce couldn't wear one. However, she stole the puppies' stuffed toy from their run and just plays with it, doesn't even try to tear it up!

• Kipawa found the tiniest hole in our comforter, and has pulled out some of the stuffing. HOWEVER, I can't expect otherwise until I sew up that little hole. I find that a lot of the time I see that these types of problems are 'operator error'. For example, yesterday we had family over and someone left a book of theirs lying on the floor. Is that an invitation or what! Kipawa chewed a number of pages in it. We replaced the book with a new one, but that book should not have been left on the floor!

• Houston

My kids and hubby have all learned that you can't leave anything laying about..Pippin chewed on my hubby's eyeglasses just this weekend, now they don't have the padding around the metal that goes around the ears..ouch..well they were on the floor..HELLO..
    Sofia has lost numerous barbie dolls, their hands and hair is divine….Lukas has lost his legos..and stuffed animals...some of his books too..You live and you learn, except they aren't learning. 😉

• Pippin is soooo cute!!!!

I spent some time just last night, sewing up toys!!!! it's cheaper than buying new ones but once they are empty of their stuffing, they aren't as much fun to destroy!!!

I love having proper bs!!!!

• Houston

The only good thing about my pack..they actually play with the animal "skins"..I think even better than when they were stuffed..so we have millions of them roaming around in their toy basket and outside..My biggest gutter is Gus, the doxie..he has to get the squeeker out, absolutely has to..so I have been buying stuffed animals at Ikea for them and they live longer now..I guess because no squeeker is antagonizing them.

• LOL, my daughter didn't learn at first, so we told her (after her eyeglasses)… they eat it, it comes out of your allowance. Yep, week later it ate her tooth retainer... $150 to replace. Husband let her pay half her allowance til it was paid off (I'd have done whole thing for nearly 4 mos!), but she learned to keep it in it's case on a shelf and her bedroom door shut.

• Oh goodness, mine have always played with the skins after "de-stuffing"…. and in fact they make the greatest baby puppy toys.. and when dirty, into the washer..

• You gotta love em otherwise you will skin them

• Houston

You gotta love'em otherwise you'll skin them

this is awesome and so true..my new motto..

• Even after the years we've had Basenjis we do still make the mistake of leaving objects around - we get complacent because the glasses etc. have been ok for some time - well that is until the chewing happens!

• Yeah mine play after they are destuffed, but Cara (and Sayblee before her) get great joy from squeezing which they no longer do.

• Amen to glasses… after each of us lost 2 pairs each... and had "ear" pieces replaced and the "bent" part fixed... I was thinking the other day... hey... have not lost a pair of glasses in quite a while.... That was the kiss of death!!!!!!!!!!!!

• @tanza:

Just want to make one little suggestion…. if you are really thinking about showing, you need to take off his collar in the house or secure yard time... collars on show dogs break the hair and leave marks.... just something to think about as to get all that to grow back can take months

I never leave my boy's collar on for more than ten minutes at a time if he's outside. Soon as he comes through the door, he knows to wait 'cause the collar comes off. It always does.

He makes me laugh with his, "I wasn't born with that thing around my neck" look.

• Five sets of earphones!!!! gone. On average, once a week!!, You would think I learned the first time… the say humans are the only species that will trip on the same rock twice!!!!

• Awwww!! He is SOOO adorable! I love the close up of that innocent face and the one of him on the top of his crate. 🙂
    The rest are all so funny, too.

• Houston

Thank you DexterDex..:)

Suggested Topics