Pippin is going nuts while crated…

• Re crating in the car. I have done a lot of transport with b's who don't know me and are not liking a crate. I tell the old owners to put them in the crate, when we get ready to transport. I make sure they are well walked and empty by the old owner, before they go in.
    They often scream for a bit, but I just turn the radio up. They do settle down and soon its quiet. On a long transport I will take them out of the crate to empty, and they are
    often ready to get back into the crate after. Usually they are quiet after a bit of "talking".
    There is no way I can have a dog who doesn't know me, in a car, while driving, without the crate.

• I do have crated Basenjis and 1 who won't be crated i=on her own. I tried to tough it out with her for 3 years (and I'm not inexperienced) but eventually had to give up (she is now 16 and a half). She eats in her crate but only with the door open.

I firmly believe that there aere exceptions and now and again a Basenji 'arrives' who will not be crate trained (Jewel is a great grandmother to Benkura's Trouper!!!).

However I doubt if Kipawa is one of those and I'm sure you'll have success with the advice you've been given. I only want to say please watch the crate chewing (Jewel has a broken canine from her crate chewing confinement experience) - a puppy's teeth could soon break if the wire is strong.

• @agilebasenji:

And get a dvd called Crate Games. that will help. watch all of the video before doing the exercises. .

Thanks for the tip. It sounds interesting. I just ordered the dvd on dogwise.com. It was over $50 on amazon.

Kirsten

• Houston

Pippin has done ok today, but has not frequented the crate more than at food times..he does eat in it, which is great news for me…but he will not sleep in it with the door closed..he loves Moses crate though...can't wait for pippin's crate (like moses') to arrive on tuesday..I am seriously thinking that is what is freaking him out...or not. We will work on it more very day and see how he does..
    Biting is not a good option for me..I don't want him to get hurt.

• My Pip also doesn't like being in a crate. He used to scream in the car until your ears were ringing so I can sympathise there! He is 14 months old now and is very good in the car but not when at shows, I don't know if we will ever crack that! I did leave him and his mum and half brother in individual crates in the caravan while I had a look around a show, I kept coming back sure he would be creating a fuss but he was fine. I think you just have to persevere. I make a point of never taking him out of the crate when he is having a tantrum, he will think that's why he is coming out!

My others are all perfect in their crates, mine aren't crated at home apart from Chico who has his dinner in his because he likes to eat slower than the others.

One of my previous basenjis, Moet, would go into a crate, sleep in a crate etc but only if the door was open! Some just don't like it. Moet is sadly no longer with us.

• Houston

Moetmum, thank you so much for your advice…
    Pippin screams exactly like that too, but today I tried his wire crate in the car, as supposed to the plastic one, and he whimpered a little, but no scream or shrieking...jippea..small steps. He still eats in his crate..well I guess not abymore sine it is in the car now..but his new rate comes tomorrow..then I have one for the house and one for the car...

So sorry to read about Moet..breaks my heart when they leave us...

• First Basenji's

@Basenjimamma:

I can't fit a bigger crate in….i don't think.....
    Agilebasenji, he came in a sherpa on the plane...he has a wire crate in the house and plastic crate in the car...but I could try the wire for the car too. I tried feeding him in it and he simply doesn't eat...i guess I should tough love it more.

hi, i had similar problems crating., i just used to leave the door open, PUT his food bowl inside and just ignore.drop odd treat inside too.it may take a while but persivere, he will go and investigate when your not looking.Now my winco goes and sits in there happily. then move it to the car, leave door open and let him investigate. slowly he may find he is happy with it and feel more secure…....good luck.. erica:)

• Houston

He is actually in his crate in the car right now, we are in the car pool waiting for kiddos…and he is sleeping. :):D

• Perfect way to get him used to the crate, especially in the car… take them lots of places lots of times!!! Good job!

• Houston

Thanks Tanza, I hope I won't traumatize him though…but he comes along when I drop the kiddos off and when I pick them up...so twice a day for sure..the wire crate works much better, he wimpers then settles down and goes to sleep...

• I currently use wire crates in the car and at home. I do plan on purchasing plastic crates for car travel due to safety concerns (higher possibility of impalement in an accident.)

While driving, I strongly suggest tethering the crate for the same reason, in an accident if the crate is tethered your precious cargo is less likely to be injured.

For quiet time in the crate at home have you tried covering the crate with a blanket? This can help in settling him down by removing some of the stimulation that is going on outside his 'room' 🙂

Sounds like you are making some progress, wahoo!

When my pups were little I took them everywhere, car rides, meet and greets at work and with family & friends, errands, etc… I think this is a good thing to do

• Houston

Libby, I have a crate cover on Moses crate, especially made for it..(looks great by the way)..and he does sleep in that crate with Moses or Gus or Luna..i.e with someone else..I tried just draping a blanket over his and he pulled the whole d–n blanket into his crate through the bars..worked like an animal (pun intended) I am sure as I could barely get the blanket back out..
    I have the crate tethered while in the car..yes, accidents scare me..Plastic crate was tried and hated..so wire it is..

• @Basenjimamma:

Libby, I have a crate cover on Moses crate, especially made for it..(looks great by the way)..and he does sleep in that crate with Moses or Gus or Luna..i.e with someone else..I tried just draping a blanket over his and he pulled the whole d–n blanket into his crate through the bars..worked like an animal (pun intended) I am sure as I could barely get the blanket back out..
    I have the crate tethered while in the car..yes, accidents scare me..Plastic crate was tried and hated..so wire it is..

While you might have a nice cover for Moses…. I would put the crates side by side and one cover (use a blanket) over both so that Pippin know and can see Moses.... that is what I did for the girls... they have their own crates... but only the "wire" keeps them apart..... one over over both crates...

• Houston

Tanza, good idea..I will try that..never even thought of that…how I love this wonderful resource of knowledgeable friends.

• Houston

…Pippin slept in his crate last night..wowser..
    We finally received the other wire crate and I set it up, made it cozy with his bedding. I decided to lock Moses into his crate, so Pippin couldn't join him in it..and low and behold..Pippin got the clue and got into his crate and curled up..so he slept in it with the door open mind you, but small steps forward is better than no steps...

• Have you tried a dog harness when you take Pippin for a drive, instead of the crate. Being placed in the rear of the car, it seems to me that you are soooooo far away from him that he might feel neglected and just wants to be close to you. By using the harness together with the lap/sash straps of the car and a couple of pats occasionally, might fix your car problems. Good luck.

• Houston

I actually have carseat harbesses for all of my dogs. I tried it on him a week ago..he went nuts..he,simply hates being tied down…he does ok in the car now... He cries but settles down after about 20-25 min. Seems long but at least he settles down.

• was DAP mentioned in this thread? if not, it would be worth a try

• Car harnesses are not for all basenjis. My first basenji was a little champion. I could go on a 6 hour trip with her seated in the front next to me with the harness on and she would just sit calmly until she wanted to pee. Then she would get up, tap me on the leg and I knew it was time to pull over.

• I feel your pain regarding the car rides, it took a little time with Zoni. Try sitting in the car with him in the crate and reward for periods of silence. I waited about 3-5 s and would treat and extended the timing as she became more comfortable. If you can get one of your kids to help, they can sit back near the crate and do the same while you are driving. Since you have a clicker you can use that too to reinforce quite, calm behavior in the car crate and the house crate. I liked Crate Games, I found it helpful.

Edit: Okay, I just noticed this thread was old. Oops.

Suggested Topics