• When Jake woke up yesterday morning he seemd fine. He didn't eat breakfast but every once and a while he'll skip a meal so I didn't think anything of it. Then, around noon he threw up. At this point he was acting a little sluggish so he went to sleep. He threw up another 3 times throughout the day and never touched any of his food. He did periodically drink water and urinate.

This morning he ate a trace amount of food but threw up it within 30 minutes. He has continued to drink water and urinate but he had diarrhea once (which surprised me because I didn't think he had anything to pass).

He has spent the day sleeping and there doesn't appear to be any obvious signs of distress.

Do I just wait out the bug or should he see a vet? If he's still fine, at what point do I take him to a vet? He's 7.5 months old.

Thanks 🙂

• Vomiting multiple times is a serious concern. You should not wait to take him to the vet. Even if it is viral he may need fluid support to avoid serious dehydration.

Lethargy is not normal and is a sign of something being wrong.

• @lvoss:

Vomiting multiple times is a serious concern. You should not wait to take him to the vet. Even if it is viral he may need fluid support to avoid serious dehydration.

Lethargy is not normal and is a sign of something being wrong.

Ok. I've read that as long as they continue to drink water dehydration shouldn't be a concern. However, I just called my vet and they have an opening in 40 minutes so I'm going to take him in just in case.

• Even if they are still drinking as long as they continue vomiting and or diarrhea then it will be very difficult to maintain the level of fluids necessary to function properly…I hope things go well

• any updates?

• Okay … should be home by now.. please update. 😞

• @stazy:

Ok. I've read that as long as they continue to drink water dehydration shouldn't be a concern. However, I just called my vet and they have an opening in 40 minutes so I'm going to take him in just in case.

He might be drinking, but each time he vomits, he is losing fluids….

• Hi Stazy, I hope that everything has ended happily after your vet's visit, and that your pup is safely home, cuddling under your arm. Please let us know how Jake is doing?
    🙂

• I took him to the vet for a check up and his temperature is normal nor is he not dehydrated so those are both good signs. The vet wants to do a stool test to make sure he doesn't have parasites though. Jake started eating rice and pumpkin this evening so things are looking up in that respect.

Like the vet said, there are so many things that can cause vomiting and diarrhea that it's almost impossible to diagnose something if those are the only two noticeable symptoms. Still, I'm happy I took him in.

And now I have to go…He's tearing up a cardboard box. lol

• So glad he's okay. I always start worrying about pancreatitis. LOL waiting to go to bed and had to check in one more time to see if you posted.

• Thanks for checking in Debra 🙂

• Yay for Jake doing better! Which vet do you go to?

Suggested Topics